Corsair Community

620HX Fan & Heat Prob?

jordanal

Hi,

I've been running my 620HX PSU for several months now without any appearent supply issues. But, while mildly overclocking the other day, I noticed that the 620HX 120mm fan never seems to change speed and the unit (and the top/back of my CPU case) get quite warm/hot. When I hold my hand to the rear of the PSU, the volume of air (very minimal at best) does not feel any different between idle and load states. But, definitly feels warmer.

The MB temp is running about 50 degrees and CPU around 55 degree while under load. This is a Lan-Li case with several 120mm and 80mm fans on the front, side, back and top. So, I don't think it's a issue of case cooling.

1) Is it possible I have a bad thermistor on the fan? Anyway to manually test/increase RPM?

2) What are the hi and low RPM values for this fan for idle and load states?

3) Why did this PSU not come with an RPM pickup from the fan to plug in on the PSU Header on the motherboard so we could monitor PSU RPM?

Thanks,

Al

• Corsair Employees
Hi,

I've been running my 620HX PSU for several months now without any appearent supply issues. But, while mildly overclocking the other day, I noticed that the 620HX 120mm fan never seems to change speed and the unit (and the top/back of my CPU case) get quite warm/hot. When I hold my hand to the rear of the PSU, the volume of air (very minimal at best) does not feel any different between idle and load states. But, definitly feels warmer.

The MB temp is running about 50 degrees and CPU around 55 degree while under load. This is a Lan-Li case with several 120mm and 80mm fans on the front, side, back and top. So, I don't think it's a issue of case cooling.

1) Is it possible I have a bad thermistor on the fan? Anyway to manually test/increase RPM?

2) What are the hi and low RPM values for this fan for idle and load states?

3) Why did this PSU not come with an RPM pickup from the fan to plug in on the PSU Header on the motherboard so we could monitor PSU RPM?

Thanks,

Al

First, let me say that the load placed on the HX620W PSU would have to be fairly significant before the noise picks up. Check out this graph:

http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/hx_noise_levels_graph_399x302.gif

The HX620W will be under 28dB until about 65% load, which would be 400W of real power draw. I don't know what your system configuration is, but to give you some perspective, an nVidia 8800GTX card draws about 160W at maximum load, a quad core QX6850 draws about 130W at maximum load, and hard drives would be about 10W each. Throw in 50W for assorted other devices, and my guess is your system is well under 400W at maximum load. The fan stays the exact same speed until 40% load, or 240W. For some perspective, this means you could run an nVidia 8800GTS (120W) and an E6600 processor (~70W) at full load, and the fan in the PSU would never even need to turn on.

That being said, it certainly is possible the thermistor is busted, but I highly doubt it. To be honest, there are two issues I am concerned about. One is that temperature reading on the motherboard. I imagine you're reading this through the BIOS or through software in Windows, and thus using the motherboard's onboard temperature monitoring. This can be fairly inaccurate, up to 30% or so. Meaning if it says 50C, you could be running anywhere from 35C to 65C. If the CPU is running 55C, and again, I don't know what CPU you have, that's not that bad under load. My home system happens to run about 68C under load and 55C idle, but I run a quad core QX6850 overclocked and use a pretty high end heatsink.

To answer your other questions.

1) It's possible but highly unlikely. There's no way to manually increase/decrease the fan RPM.

2) I don't know the RPM of the fan at high and low states, I can look into it if you'd really like to know. I believe at idle it's around 900RPM and at load it's about twice that, but I can check on it if you'd like.

3) The RPM cable was decided against because it's questionable how useful it is. Aside from gauging the actual RPM of the fan through a motherboard sensor (which, again, can still be inaccurate up to 50%) we decided to use a state of the art thermistor that controls the fan based on internal temps in the PSU. The PSU is rated at 50C, and if that's what the ambient temperature of your case really is, and the PSU isn't under an insanely high power draw, the fan just has no need to spin up.

I have personally run the following system on an HX620:

-2x 8800GTX in SLI

-QX6800 Quad Core OC'd to 3.3 GHz

-4x 1GB Dominator modules

-2 Raptor hard drives in RAID 0

-SB X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card

And at load the PSU was only under about 70% of max capacity.

Archived