Corsair Community

New RAM causes FPS drop

BorisTheBlade

Hello. First off, I do not know much about RAM, so I am pretty much a noob here. Anyway, I have been running a pair of CMX 1024-3500 LL Pro chips in my PC for about a year now making 2 gigs of RAM.

I recently decided to up my system memory and I tried to find the above RAM again, but could not. So I purchased 2 CMX1024-3200C2PT for an additional 2gigs making 4 gigs total. Now I run into my problem.

BIOS can see all four gigs, but for some reason, my fps in games drop by about 20FPS. Was it a bad mistake buying two different types of RAM? Or is there a setting in BIOS that can help this?

My mobo is an ASUS A8N sli Deluxe on Windows Media Center(Which im thinking about reinstalling just XP pro).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Im sorry, like I said I am pretty much a RAM noob. But this isnt a benchmark. This is just a normal game, specifically World of Warcraft. I would get around 30-40fps normally, then when I added the CMX1024-3200C2PT sticks, my FPS dropped to 10-17. If I just stick either pair in it runs better (both LLPRO or both C2PT sticks).

I ran MemTest for 12+ hours and it reported zero errors with all four sticks of RAM in. As far as the memory controller slowing the memory down to address the memory, im not sure I follow.

Thanks again for the help, I hope this extra information can help diagnose the problem.

• Corsair Employees
No I still dont know what you have the memory set to and only made the suggestion because its not clear to me what exactly you have in your system, but mixing memory is not suggested bottom line however that does not mean it cannot be done. But the memory performance will drop and the frame rates in a game are irrelevant especially if the game is not made to support more then 2.0 Gig

Is this FPS drop only happening in WOW and if it is, are you aware of all the FPS problems people are having with the latest WOW patches (as well as server lag issues). Threads on the problems:

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=6D36C0A4B16BA8894FC0AF5E2C1AD8A3.app09_03?topicId=288948926&sid=1&pageNo=7

http://frostbolt.com/2006/11/03/i-want-my-fps-back/

There was a thread over at the official World of Warcraft (USA) forum on the four sticks of RAM issue with the newest patches but it seems someone hath cast a spell upon it for it has magically disappeared (at least my bookmarked link isn't working). Nope, wait a moment, it looks like they moved all of the FPS issues together here (10 pages worth):

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/search.html?stationId=1&forumId=11110&searchText=FPS+issues&characterName=&recentPosts=0&x=467&y=-24

I really havnt played any other games a lot. But I did test it on BF2, Company of Heroes and CNC3 and I have not noticed a FPS drop. It's odd that World of Warcraft's FPS would drop if all four memory banks are full, I guess thats bad programing. I orginally thought it was incompatible RAM because once I added the extra two sticks, the FPS droped. To me that says RAM but this sheds new light on the problem. Oh well =(

I am sorry to waste everyones time with this.

Here is an utterly stupid question. From what I understand, lower timings is better, like 2-2-2-15 or whatever. Yet I read some people going crazy over how fast their RAM is running at 4-4-4-16 or whatever. Is higher timing better at some times and lower timing better at others?

and also, when you said

"I would suggest Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at DDR333 at 2.75 Volts"

What do you mean DDR333 and how do i set that?

Once again, sorry for taking valuable time

Thanks!

Archived