Corsair Community

BSOD after 11 months? cm2x1024-6400c4 x2

mcase

Hello,

This week I experienced my first BSOD on a pc I built 11 or so months ago. Its the very vague 0x0000008E one. After trying to find out as much as I can on what could have caused it, I think I have narrowed it down to my RAM. my mobo is a P5W DH Deluxe, updated bios to 2206. I tested my RAM individually running memtest v3.2. The first stick I ran for over 20 hours, and it got 85 errors on 84 passes (all but 1 were test pattern 6). The second stick does not error from what I can tell. I haven't ran it as long because it doesn't show any errors after 3 or 4 passes unlike the first stick.

The very strange thing is that I still got random BSOD after going down to just the one good stick in single channel mode. Then, this afternoon I cannot boot into anything other than safe mode with the good stick. It still isn't showing any errors in memtest as I write this.

I have played around in the bios so much that I am kind of punch-drunk in regards to what I should have the memory set to if its just one stick atm. Should it still be 4-4-4-12, with ddr2 800 manually enabled? What do I set DRAM write recovery time to?

And lastly, I have used 2.1 as my voltage. Is this still correct, or should it be something different?

Thank you.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings to 4-4-4-12 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived