Corsair Community

vs512mb400 + 400c3

Ianing

I got a quick question for anyone who is out there. I'm re-building a buddy's PC because he had issues with it, so it sat unused all summer. After I rebuilt it, it did not want to boot because of a memory error. I pulled out one pair of memory and it booted fine. I got it all setup and wanted to test the memory. It turns out he has 4 sticks. A pair of VS512MB400 and a pair of VS512MB400C3. Both pairs appear to work fine by themselves. But not together. I've read that mixing memory is usually bad But I'm wondering if that is the case with this very similar dimms. The mobo is a MSI K8N Neo4 platinum.

I'm wondering if I set the memory speed in Bios to that of the slower 3-3-3-8-2T and then added in the other pair, if that will work?

• Corsair Employees
You should not mix memory with this MB, All of the modules should be exactly matched. In addition, with this MB and CPU if you install more than 2 modules you may have to set the memory frequency at DDR333.

I think i have a similar problem

i have 2 sticks of vs512mb400 ram and would like to get some more ram. I wanted to get either another pair of 512 sticks or just a 1 gb stick.

is this possible to put in 3 sticks of differing MB.

would i still have to change the speed of the ram for this and how would i do that?

Cheers

Archived