Corsair Community

Asus Striker Extreme and CM2X1024-8500C5

Spadge

Hi.

I have an Asus Striker Extreme, I installed above Corsair memory.

The board has the latest (1303?) BIOS.

I disabled USB legacy support for tests.

Initially tested the memory in non-sli (800MHz) mode and memtest came up completely clean.

Then set the memory voltage to 2.2v, Command to Clock :2, Set SLI memory to CPU 0%. Machine posts fine, detects the memory at 1067MHz, timings 5-5-5-15t.

Memtest fails at test 3, at 38.7Mb, with three counts. Those errors go up at the same spot in subsequent test parts.

I took out the memory and replaced it with some other PC2-8500 memory. Upped the volts to 2.3v for that make, other settings the same, memory was detected at 1067MHz, 5-5-5-15t, and memtest completed 100% with no errors.

Is there a known glitch perhaps with the Corsair memory and the 1303 bios? Or do I have a module that may be bad? I hope it's not the latter, as this pair was a replacement for an identical pair that had a faulty module from the outset.

Thanks in advance,

Spadge.

Rig main specs: Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ stock speed

Asus Striker Extreme 1303 BIOS

Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5 (2x 1GB sticks)

XFX Geforce 8800GTX @ stock speed

Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality Platinum soundcard.

Thank you

The latest BIOS shall be installed, but when those modules arrive, what should be the necessary steps to take for maximizing performance?

I reckon to take little steps at a time or will it set itself to the proper settings (EPP profiles)?

• Corsair Employees
Just load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.4 Volts and set the Command Rate to 2T and set SLI Ready Memory to CPU Max should be all you need to do, but many have had problems over clocking the quad core CPU so you might not be able to run these at their tested settings

So it has a little to do with OC'ing the CPU, where I'm a novice at (never done it before).

"...but many have had problems over clocking the quad core CPU so you might not be able to run these at their tested settings"

Does that also goes for the new 1333MHz FSB CPU's? Because the "old" quadcores run with a 1066MHz FSB, where the memory runs at 1250MHz.

Does it still need OC'ing the CPU? Or am I not getting the picture right? If so, please explain in short (OC'ing is the other forum topic I reckon?)

Thank you very much for your time :):

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay - other minor details like house flooding got in the way.

Right, set all defaults then set the timings back up, and set the NB voltage to 1.4 as you recommended. Memtest 1.7 came up with the same errors at the same spot. :(:

Modules going back to the retailer for replacement. Thanks for the help though - was worth a try. :):

Archived