Corsair Community

Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT vs. TWINX1024-4000PRO...a Tie?!?!?

Oh wise RAMGUY, I seek your help, I just upgraded from Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT to Corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO to increase my overclocking potential as well as be able to use a 1:1 divider and enable PAT/MAM. Prior to replacing the memory modules, I ran a set of benchmarks so that I could see how much of an improvement I would get. The various benchmarks included UT2003, SiSoft Sandra, Super PI, Memtest86, etc. I ran each one 3 times (rebooting after each BM), and noted down the averages. I then installed the new modules, and re-ran the battery of benchmarks. All of the benchmarks ran flawlessly, without any errors. Afterwards, I compared the results and was stunned to find out that both sets of memory modules performed within 1% of each other?!?! What gives- I was expecting a 5% to 10% increase in speed/bandwidth??? Can you please let me know if the new modules are bad, or if I set something up incorrectly? Or, do the slower memory timings negate the increased memory bus speed? My configurations are listed below: Setup #1 P2.4C running at 3.0GHz using 250MHz FSB Asus P4P800 Deluxe Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT running at 320MHz with a 5:4 Divider Timings set to 2-3-3-6-8 PCI:AGP locked at 33:66 "PERFORMANCE" set to "STANDARD" "MEMORY ACCELERATION MODE" set to "OFF" Setup #2 P2.4C running at 3.0GHz using 250MHz FSB Asus P4P800 Deluxe Corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO running at 500MHz with a 1:1 Divider Timings set to 3-4-4-8-8 PCI:AGP locked at 33:66 "PERFORMANCE" set to "STANDARD" "MEMORY ACCELERATION MODE" set to "ON" (Although it was shown as 'Disabled' in CPUID) Thanks in advance for your help, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Sorry...I didn't mean to exclude anyone by addressing this to the RAM GUY. If anyone has any input on my problem, I'd greatly appreciate it. And I know that the PC4000 memory will give me more headroom for overclocking, but I just can't understand why it's the same speed as the PC3200 memory, even though there is a difference in bus speeds. Thanks !

[quote name='photogearjunkie']Sorry...I didn't mean to exclude anyone by addressing this to the RAM GUY. If anyone has any input on my problem, I'd greatly appreciate it. And I know that the PC4000 memory will give me more headroom for overclocking, but I just can't understand why it's the same speed as the PC3200 memory, even though there is a difference in bus speeds. Thanks ![/QUOTE] ok..what are you basing the comparison on? if it's the sandra "bars" part of the benchie, it's quite possible with the different mem timings you'll see similar values for the memory performance..but, look at the specs below and see what the bandwidth is down the page a bit..it should show the bandwidth if being run at spec to be 3200 for the 3200 based on your info..4000 for the pc4000..there's a big difference benchwise between cas 3 and cas 2 on the "bar" values:)

I don't know if u find this helpful but, I saw a review/comparison on exactly what u have done and it said that the view most people held about the performance between the two was off and then went on to prove it. Sorry I can't give any more detail than that and I don't remember the link either. :roll:

Read [url=http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=873&page=1]This Article[/url] which does a wonderful job of explaining the difference between bandwidth, speed, and latencies. RAM GUY, FYI they're testing Corsair modules too! Have comments on it? Post them [url=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=20057]here[/url]. Your CAS 2 PC3200 @ 400MHz (4/5 of 250 = 200 = DDR400) is standing up to CAS 3 PC4000 @ 500 MHz. In your testing, remember, Sandra is synthetic. While Aida32 is also synthetic, I'd run that and it might give you more accurate numbers. Just look for it on Google. PLUR CK

Archived