Corsair Community

Requesting input on CPU, RAM, Motherboard configuration

Hello,

I am getting ready to build my 3rd computer (the first two were nearly identical to each other and I was following a template off of ExtremeTech). As I am relatively new to building there are still many things that I don't fully understand.

I have gathered from various things that I have read that there is some kind of relationship between RAM (and the speed it runs at) and the CPU speed, but I haven't been able to fully grasp how that all works.

Here is the configuration I am wanting to do:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103767)

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590)

ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131014)

My question is, can I run the above CPU at its default 2.6GHz with the above RAM at its default of 800MHz (with the above motherboard)? I have gotten the impression that one or the other will run slower, but I don't fully understand why or which one would run slower or how much slower or even if it really matters.

I want to use the above CPU because it is the fastest (well, particularly the largest L2 Cache, which I have heard helps with performance) AM2 dual-core processor that runs at 65 Watts.

I have no desire to overclock, though I am open to a slight overclock if it is necessary in order to have both the CPU and RAM run at the above speeds (and assuming that the system would be stable, and that the overclock would be worth the effort).

I found this quote on Newegg in relation to another 2.6GHz AMD processor:

With a clock speed of 2600, this means that it has an odd numbered multiplier of 13. Giving it a memory divider of 6.5 (13 divided by two), but since 6.5 can't be used as a divider, it rounds up to 7. So 2600 divided by 7 = 373 Mhz, or 743 Mhz DDR. So your memory ends up being slightly underclocked instead of running @ 800 Mhz.

Even though the underclocked memory doesn't falter your speed, you can easily overclock to 2.8 GHz, bringing your memory back to DDR2-800.

So is the multiplier found by simply dividing the CPU clock speed by 2? Will I really notice the difference between the RAM running at 743MHz vs 800MHz? If so, how would I "easily overclock" this setup to 2.8GHz?

I appreciate any and all input!

Thanks in advance!

:biggrin:

All I gotta say is ummm ?!?!, why are you choosing those parts? I think the first question you gotta ask is what your budget is? Read the thread right next to this one thats named "system settings". I think that guy and you are in the same situation. As far as OC'ing goes, once you try it, you will be so addicted it will be sickening. AMD has kind of fallen out of the loop, if your going to spend money atleast spend it on parts that arent already outdated.

All I gotta say is ummm ?!?!, why are you choosing those parts? I think the first question you gotta ask is what your budget is? Read the thread right next to this one thats named "system settings". I think that guy and you are in the same situation. As far as OC'ing goes, once you try it, you will be so addicted it will be sickening. AMD has kind of fallen out of the loop, if your going to spend money atleast spend it on parts that arent already outdated.

espslyxerx2, thanks for your post.

Regarding why those parts: The short answer is that they are what I most familiar with (and happy with). The motherboard and RAM combination is from this template (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2016613,00.asp) on ExtremeTech's website for building a Media Center PC. I want the machine I am currently wanting to build to be as low power as possible (hence the AMD 65W CPU and onboard video via motherboard rather than a separate graphics card), to have good video viewing abilities (hence the M2NPV-VM), and to be decently powerful (hence the 800MHz RAM and 2.6GHz CPU).

My impression is that Intel CPUs tend to not be as energy efficient as some of AMDs CPUs. Regardless, right now AMD is what I know (and I don't know much!) so I'd prefer to stick with AMD for the time being.

I know there are a bazillion other combinations I could do for the same or perhaps more money, but at the moment I am more interested in feedback on the configuration that I am wanting to do regarding how well it will work together and my various other questions from my original posting.

I hope the above clarifies things some.

Thanks!

:biggrin:

Hey ithinkican,

If you search for "beginner's guide to overclocking" in google or something you should get some pretty good explanations about how your system clocks are derived from one another.

I'd try an explanation myself, but I'm a rank amateur here and not really familiar with AMD platforms... :o:

*Edit*

Oh and I'd recommend being a bit more daring with your parts list. Templates are decent for getting an idea of what works, but with new, faster,cheaper products coming out all the time, there's always a better deal around the corner you can find for yourself. Like espslyxerx2 said, defining a budget first really helps...

Archived