Corsair Community

Ram Compatibility

adm3rd

Hi Guy's,

I figure an enthusiast could best answer my question. I hope it's alright to post on this site!

I have 2 gigs of XMS twin DDR2 6400 2x1024. Is there any reason why I can't add anouther gig by installing XMS twin DDR2 6400 2x512 in the other channel?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm just not sure and don't want to buy the ram until I am.

Thanks,

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Alex, that shouldn't be a problem at all, especially if both pairs of modules are rated at the same latencies and voltages.

It might be a good idea to check that both of those specifications match, if you want to use all four modules optimally, though it is possible to get them working even if they don't.

If you don't mind doing a little educating, would you mind explaining why? I am hungry to learn and only have people like you who are good enough to give there time through these forums to learn from. Also at that frequency would I be able to tighten my timing? I have it set at 800Mhz at 5 5 5 12 5 - I am not overclocked because I am more concerned about the temp of my home office than getting more speed. I'm running a Pen. D 930 at 40c idle and about 50 heavy load, room temp. is about 75f - 77f.

Thank you for any help you can give, I have learned a lot through this forum and thank all who have taken the time to help.

Archived