Corsair Community

5 set of Corsair ram is doing bad!

camoguy

I purchased Corsair 8500 C5D around Jan 1 2007 and I've had to rma about 5 times total.

The game I like to play started acting up again the way it was doing in the past 8 months. The game would freeze and stutter, I would shut it down and then start doing something in windows and windows will freeze up and lock me up completely. As soon as I reboot I poped in the memtest cd this morning and 50++ errors withing the first minute.

I have tested 2 different processors, 4 motherboards, 3 PSU, 3 gfx cards, rma'd RAM like 5 times. My current motherboard is the MSI Diamond Nforce 680, my current video card is the 8800 GTX, my current PSU is the BFG 1000W, and my processor is Intel Extreme Core2 Quad 2.66 MHz

When I receive the ram from Corsair, I put it on 2.2V with 1066 MHz speed. When this crashing first started I suspected everything but the RAM because it's been replaced so many times, now this time after replacing all of the rest of the system, I know it couldn't be any of that stuff, so I went and tested the RAM. The ram tested BAD!.

WTF? Could I have my money back now please?

The money I have spent on shipping and the inconvinence of this product has made me very upset, and I would like to try some other products.

• Corsair Employees
You likely have some other problem from the sounds of it, but for a refund you would need to talk to the reseller and see what they can do other wise we will be happy to test them for you if you like. You can call our Tech support at 800-205-7657 and we will do our best to help you

When I first go this pair from warranty service, I put it in and set the clock speed and voltages. The first boot was unsuccessful, I power it on, and all of the messages that first come on the screen were so slow, then when the windows boot screen came up that screen was just scrolling over and over and over and I finally gave up and reboot and it went through find that time.

I didn't have any trouble with the RAM for a few weeks and recently that problem I described earlier started happeneing again. I was in shock at first because I thought I have finally rooted out the problems.

I have spent about 8 months troubleshooting the same problem on this computer build, imagine if it were for a customer!

I would really like to know why you suspect a bad system build? I have used premium parts, I am a seasoned computer builder.

The first three sets of ram I've had to rma was run under an (your filter won't let me put it on here for some reason) OC(z) 600Watt Sli certified power supply, these modules have been run with the BFG 1000Watt power supply.

I don't believe any of my components would cause this ram to fail over and over like this when all of these components have been replaced and it's only the ram that has been failing in this build.

If this ram was worth it's money I would never have to rma it unless it was truely defective. Now I have to wait for two weeks between ram rma's until I get another set of ram that will likely break in a few weeks and I'll have to start over with this forum.

I'll do some precise analysis to see whether it's one stick or two that failing after work. Then once that's determined, I'll give you a call.

• Corsair Employees
O.K. NP. However, we all use the same memory IC (Micron D9) for this type of module and there is nothing that could be done on our end that would make them fail like that. I would suspect that you will have the same problem eventually with any memory you install.

What logic makes you think I'll still have this problem? I have performed all of the troubleshooting you recommended.

After doing like you suggested, getting a new PSU, you can't point the finger at anything else but me now.

Is it something I'm not getting?

If it's not the hardware that it's obviously a bios setting I'm not getting right.

I'm setting the voltage to 2.2, Im setting the clock to 1066 MHz, and then it works for a few weeks when it's newly rma'd and then it craps out again.

I've monitored the temps inside the box and I've made sure there are fans blowing directly on the ram.

• Corsair Employees
As I said memory does not fail that way certainly you could have had a bad module or one that failed but if it keeps happening its not the memory in most cases that would be the cause. Other wise we would be intimidated with RMA's and we are not. But I have no problem replacing them if you like and we can see if that happens again.

• Corsair Employees

Are you getting errors in memtest and on what test?

The ram is corrupting when I run it with the 1066 MHz and 2.2V settings

Can you be more specific please it will help to solve the problem, and I know it can be frustrating so I am sorry for that but I will do my best to help you solve the problem?

Archived