Corsair Community

Will XMS4400 work with ASUS K8V Deluxe MB

Steve_atrm

I ordered the corsair XMS4400 memory from newegg along with the ASUS K8V Deluxe MB. Did I make a mistake? or will it work with the K8V Dexluxe? Just wondering if I am going to have to return it and get the correct memory. If I do have to return it, what do you recommend? Thank you

I had to send the cpu back to be replaced, it was DOA. So I have to wait for the cpu to come back, looks like it will be next week sometime. I can't test the memory till I get the cpu. I am just wondering if I should wait for the cpu and then test the memory or go ahead and send it back and get what I know should work. Seems like I read on the ASUS site that the memory speed was limited by what the processor could handle? Not positive that is what I read, I Might have interpreted it wrong. Also I read that the video card has to be 1.75 volts and not 3.3 volts. How do I tell what the voltage on the video card is? I ordered the new Nvidia ultra 5950 chip set. As a matter of fact, the ASUS V9980 Ultra hoping that the newer video cards would be in the correct voltage range. Course it has a power supply connecter on the card, not sure if that is a problem or not? But again I can't test it until the cpu comes in. WISH me good luck and if anyone has any input, I would like to hear it. Thanks Steve

I wish you the very best of luck and here's my responses to your questions: -the memory will be fine..it's the same mem timings as pc4000 (which i'm getting 2 sticks of this week) it has just been verified to run at the higher speeds than the pc4000... don't worry about the vid card volteage..if you've got a new agp card, it will have the proper volteage to go with your board..no worries. get your cpu, put the memory in, start with all settings in auto and go from there..that's what i did with my system with an A64 -3000 and corsair pc3000..i tweaked only the cpu volteage, the fsb speed (from 200 to 240) the memory speed came along for the ride when i tweaked the fsb speed and went from a stock 186 to 200 ..and changed the HT transfer speed to 400 from 800(mentioned often for those overclocking the via 800 chipset boards that if you are going to hard overclock, change it from 800 to 400 or 200..you'll never notice the difference in the real world, trust me) and i'm running 2400 on my cpu, 200 on memory speed, 240 on fsb with zero issues ..and very nice benchies..can't wait for my 4000 modules to come in this week! stay in touch and i'll let you know how it goes with my 4000 modules as well.

[quote name='Steve_atrm']Thank you Tenax, I should get the cpu by Tuesday. I am looking forward to putting it all together. I'll post back and let you know how it all works out.[/QUOTE] no problem..i'll come back to compare notes when i get mine this week:) T

Well, I got my replacement cpu this morning. And I go the same error again. The motherboard has a voice telling you what the error is and it said that "the system failed cpu test". First time I thought it was the cpu, I suppose it is possible to get two bad cpus in a row, but have decided it must be the motherboard. So I pulled it out and rma'd it today. SO most likley it will be next weeke again before I get my new motherboard. I guess if I have problems this time, I may just rma the whole order and start over. Tenax, I look forward to seeing how your luck goes. I have heard good things about this motherboard. I have a 425 watt powersupply. Hopefully that is not the source of my problems.

These 64 Compatible mobo's scream for power and I'm trading up from my 480 to 520. And would never go lower than 450 for these guys. Especially Abit and Asus. Also with the Asus board, I hear they like the memory to be in slots 1 and 3. Just a rumor, but give it a try. With the PSU i would definitely go at least 450(very minimum) but more like 480 is comfortable. Also PSU's max and stable ratings differ, Go with a known name(Antec etc...) and make sure the rails are stable. Good luck, hope I helped.

[quote name='tenax']I wish you the very best of luck and here's my responses to your questions: -the memory will be fine..it's the same mem timings as pc4000 (which i'm getting 2 sticks of this week) it has just been verified to run at the higher speeds than the pc4000... don't worry about the vid card volteage..if you've got a new agp card, it will have the proper volteage to go with your board..no worries. get your cpu, put the memory in, start with all settings in auto and go from there..that's what i did with my system with an A64 -3000 and corsair pc3000..i tweaked only the cpu volteage, the fsb speed (from 200 to 240) the memory speed came along for the ride when i tweaked the fsb speed and went from a stock 186 to 200 ..and changed the HT transfer speed to 400 from 800(mentioned often for those overclocking the via 800 chipset boards that if you are going to hard overclock, change it from 800 to 400 or 200..you'll never notice the difference in the real world, trust me) and i'm running 2400 on my cpu, 200 on memory speed, 240 on fsb with zero issues ..and very nice benchies..can't wait for my 4000 modules to come in this week! stay in touch and i'll let you know how it goes with my 4000 modules as well.[/QUOTE] Hope that can solve some of my stability issues if I change the HT speed, just cant find the setting on my abit board, any ideas?

qual, fyi..i'm running a 431 watt enermax and no problems..i guess if i was running a 9700+ radeon card with separate power needed, i'd look at boosting it up..fyi, it will be noticed than in regards to the rails, that the +12 volt rail will likely be low on most systems with the A64..not proven to be an issue but will freak some people (i.e. mine runs at 11.25 versus +12 with the athlon xps..it's because the power for the A64 is taken of course..from the 12 volt plug off the power supply which we never needed to use before..so the only rails i'm concerned about are the 3 and 5 volt which are fine:) in your bios, go to the screen with the LDT bus frequency..that is the same thing i'm referring to and has been called HTT as well..mine has a range of 200 to 800.i started with 200 and tweaked it up from there as i played with my overclocks. and it's no rumour on the boards liking the memory in channel 1 and 2..there are recommendations for the asus board on the website that show the recommended placement of more than 1 stick..what i always do is start with one stick only in the main slot (one next to the cpu..referred to either as slot 00 or 01 depending on manufacturer..make sure everything is running fine with one..then, generally use slot 3 for the 2nd stick. steve, you did make sure you plugged in that 12 volt plug to power the cpu right? if not..don't feel bad..many have missed that!

Tenax, Is that the 4 prong power plug on the motherboard? I have a pcpower cooling 420 watt power supply. I'll double check, but I don't remember seeing a plug on the power supply to plug into that plug, but I did plug the atx power supply in the board. My power supply is a few years old, perhaps I need to get a new power supply that has both plugs and then plug both in. If that is the case, I may just buy the enermax 650 or is it 660 watt power supply. Tenax if you get a chance to reply to this tonight that would be great, cause if I need to order the power supply I might as well do it tonight or tomorrow. Are you using the ASUS K8V Dexlue Motherboard? Thanks, Steve

[quote name='Steve_atrm']Tenax, Is that the 4 prong power plug on the motherboard? I have a pcpower cooling 420 watt power supply. I'll double check, but I don't remember seeing a plug on the power supply to plug into that plug, but I did plug the atx power supply in the board. My power supply is a few years old, perhaps I need to get a new power supply that has both plugs and then plug both in. If that is the case, I may just buy the enermax 650 or is it 660 watt power supply. Tenax if you get a chance to reply to this tonight that would be great, cause if I need to order the power supply I might as well do it tonight or tomorrow. Are you using the ASUS K8V Dexlue Motherboard? Thanks, Steve[/QUOTE] sorry steve..i didn't get an email notification on your post for some reason..there are 2 plugs..the main atx power plug, but the A64's also require you to plug in a small 4 pin plug..it's like a square plug with a thin lead wire off it and should plug in right next to where the cpu goes..if you don't plug that in, you'll get a cpu fail issue..my enermax is about 3 years old and had it..make sure whatever ps you buy says pentium 4 ready..it says that because that indicates it has the plug on the ps..the enermaxes and other high end ps'es will have it..careful with lesser known pses as they may well not include it, especially if it's a place with old stock that doesn't move fast as power supplies can do at smaller mom and pop computer shops..i've seen 12 year old power supplies sold as "new"..and they are..but have been sitting around that long..or put into cases that are sold cheap as a ps/case combo:) i will just about bet money from what your saying your problem is quite simply, you don't have that plug or it's not plugged in..the manuals should have it big freaking red letters it's been missed so often:) and yes, i have the asus K8V deluxe..runs like a top:) by the way, you've bought the best ps out there, seriously..and if only 2 years old, i bet you just haven't seen the plug..it can be easy to miss between the big snake main cable and all the moly plug cables..and your pc power n cooling if it's 420 watts will be more than sufficient for your system..top end..i'd swap you my enermax in a second..and i have 4 of them and no failures since i bought my first one in 1999 and overclocked on all the systems:) get her going and if you need any help tweaking it up, i can share my experiences with you..running it at 10 x250 right now..there is multi adjusters, but no pci/agp frequency lock so it topped out stable for me at 260 on the fsb..not an inch higher.but it is sooo fast..still waiting for my memory sticks this week:)

[quote name='tenax']sorry steve..i didn't get an email notification on your post for some reason..there are 2 plugs..the main atx power plug, but the A64's also require you to plug in a small 4 pin plug..it's like a square plug with a thin lead wire off it and should plug in right next to where the cpu goes..if you don't plug that in, you'll get a cpu fail issue..my enermax is about 3 years old and had it..make sure whatever ps you buy says pentium 4 ready..it says that because that indicates it has the plug on the ps..the enermaxes and other high end ps'es will have it..careful with lesser known pses as they may well not include it, especially if it's a place with old stock that doesn't move fast as power supplies can do at smaller mom and pop computer shops..i've seen 12 year old power supplies sold as "new"..and they are..but have been sitting around that long..or put into cases that are sold cheap as a ps/case combo:) i will just about bet money from what your saying your problem is quite simply, you don't have that plug or it's not plugged in..the manuals should have it big freaking red letters it's been missed so often:) and yes, i have the asus K8V deluxe..runs like a top:) by the way, you've bought the best ps out there, seriously..and if only 2 years old, i bet you just haven't seen the plug..it can be easy to miss between the big snake main cable and all the moly plug cables..and your pc power n cooling if it's 420 watts will be more than sufficient for your system..top end..i'd swap you my enermax in a second..and i have 4 of them and no failures since i bought my first one in 1999 and overclocked on all the systems:) get her going and if you need any help tweaking it up, i can share my experiences with you..running it at 10 x250 right now..there is multi adjusters, but no pci/agp frequency lock so it topped out stable for me at 260 on the fsb..not an inch higher.but it is sooo fast..still waiting for my memory sticks this week:)[/QUOTE] STEVE, feel free to email me at [email]teerex@amdmb.com[/email] if you want any tweaking help..:) aim- tenax66

Archived