Corsair Community

DFI and TWINX20483200C2PT memory settings to use?

zank0

I've a set of TWINX20483200C2PT and three DFI boards and all 3 of them suffer from shutdowns when I stress the system with this memory installed. I've read the IC used is Promos and also the DFI boards can be picky about memory settings with various ICs.

I'm currently using my DFI RDX200 CF-DR (also have a DFI Ultra-D and DFI EXPERT) and would like help with various memory settings. I would like to know which DRAM drive strength and DRAM data drive strength to use and configuring any others that might help with stability.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Here are the defaults for all the settings when booting with all memory settings at auto in the BIOS:

CAS: 3.0

TRCD: 3

TRP: 3

TRAS: 8

Command rate: 1t

TRC: 11

TRFC: 13

TRRD: 2

TRWT: 8

TWR: 3

TWTR: 2

TREF: 0032 Cycles

DQS skew control: Off

DRAM skew value: 0

Max async latency: 7 ns

Read Preamble: 5.0 ns

DRAM drive strength: Weak

DRAM data drive strength: L1 (reduce 50%)

Idle cycle limit: 16 cycles

Dynamic counter: Enabled

32 byte granularity: Disabled (8 bursts)

R/W queue bypass: 08x

Bypass max: 04x

I've tried various vdimm settings from 2.55v to 2.75v and I don't believe higher would be beneficial especially as it's running at slack 3-3-3-8 settings.

The shutdown problem occurs with everything at stock settings so I won't be able to overclock until I have the correct settings. I'm using Orthos blend test at priority 9 to stress the system when the shutdown occurs whereas it'll run all day when using the small-ffts test. When using my 1GB PC3200 memory kit (2 x 512MB) the system doesn't have the shutdown problem at default clocks and is also stable with the following settings giving 2750MHz and 196MHz for the memory:

HTT: 250

Multiplier: 11

HT Multiplier: 4

Memory clock: 166

I suspect it's a problem with the default drive strength settings chosen by the motherboard BIOS and possibly the TREF, MAL and RP need tweaked as well, so I'm hoping you guys can tell me which settings will work.

I also read you often used the Asus A8N-SLI for testing so it would be helpful if you could provide a screenshot of A64Info beta's DRAM tab so I can see what settings were used during your testing as no doubt the DFI isn't configured to allow the Promos ICs to run with stability using it's default settings.

If no screenshot then have you got a list of all the memory settings to use for DFI boards? With all memory settings at auto (list of settings above in first post) the shutdown occurs very quickly. I've tried lots of educated guesses with the memory settings and with some settings it can run for 10+ hours with no problems but it's hard to test it because Orthos doesn't use all the memory and only when the extra memory not being used by Orthos is used does it actually do a shutdown.

Basically I'm saying it's proving very difficult for me to figure out the correct settings to use so I need your expert help!

The board may simply not like the RAM divider when using the 1gb DIMMs. These DFI boards had some peculiar issues like that.

Just to test the memory, try the CPU at 200 x 11 and the RAM speed at 200. Make sure it is stable at stock before you begin OCing it.

Also, the memory can go to 2.9v safely. I'd suggest 2.8v.

Like I said above I am not overclocking with the 1GB DIMMs as it's not stable even at stock settings. The overclocking I mention above was when I was using 2 x 512MB DIMMs.

I've got nearly everything in the BIOS at default settings meaning nothing is overclocked. The only change was to increase the vdimm. I'll give 2.8v a try.

Can you give me a list of the settings to use for this memory to get it stable on DFI boards?

As I posted above the defaults the motherboard BIOS sets are:

CAS: 3.0 ()

TRCD: 3 ()

TRP: 3 ()

TRAS: 8 ()

Command rate: 1t ()

TRC: 11 ()

TRFC: 13 ()

TRRD: 2 ()

TRWT: 8 ()

TWR: 3 ()

TWTR: 2 ()

TREF: 0032 Cycles ()

DQS skew control: Off ()

DRAM skew value: 0 ()

Max async latency: 7 ns ()

Read Preamble: 5.0 ns ()

DRAM drive strength: Weak ()

DRAM data drive strength: L1 (reduce 50%) ()

Idle cycle limit: 16 cycles ()

Dynamic counter: Enabled ()

32 byte granularity: Disabled (8 bursts) ()

R/W queue bypass: 08x ()

Bypass max: 04x ()

I'd appreciate it if you could add in the brackets above the settings I should use to get the memory running stable on the DFI.

CAS: 3.0 ()

TRCD: 3 ()

TRP: 3 ()

TRAS: 8 ()

Command rate: 1t ()

The only timings Corsair suggests changing are these 5. All other settings should remain at MOBO defaults. That was always the issue with those DFI boards, they were incredibly difficult to tune for stability at times, depending on the bios revision. However, there are some sources of info available.

I would suggest you search for your board model at DIY Street: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/index.php

This was the original DFI forum. They archived all of their MOBO profiles there.

Also, there is the current DFI forum, DFI Club: http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/index.php

If you have set the above settings, and set the voltage to 2.8v and also if the memory is not defective, then you will need to get some help from DFI.

Thanks specmike, was helpful reading in those forums. I'd appreciate if you could also tell me what the voltage range is for the TWINX20483200C2PT v5.1 (Promos ICs) DIMMs. I don't want them running too hot so the lower I can run them the better really and also what is the tightest timings they are rated to run at?

I also managed to source an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe so I could see what it was choosing for the memory timings and sub-timings. It actually sets pretty much the same memory settings regardless of the memory used. I tried various memory kits with different ICs and there were very minor changes due to them having different SPD timings. For example TRWT was set to 4 with CAS 2.5 and set to 5 with CAS 3.0.

The A8N-SLI Deluxe memory and sub-timings work great in the DFI boards although I had to choose the DRAM drive strength as a value but fortunately Tony had made a post about it on one of those forums which helped.

I'm currently using my DFI NF4 EXPERT with the X2 4200+ and the Corsair TWINX20483200C2PT in the orange slots (DRAM drive strength is set to 14) and overclocked to 2750MHz again.

Here is a screenshot of the A64Info 0.62 (beta) showing the the memory timings and sub-timings with the CPU at stock and memory at 200 (DDR400):

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corsairtwinx20483200c2pux1.jpg

And another screenshot showing pretty much the same except the CPU is overclocked to 2750MHz and memory divider is 166:

http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corsairtwinx20483200c2pxj1.jpg

The vdimm used is 2.72v and at stock CPU speed everything else is at defaults in the BIOS whereas overclocked to 2750MHz the only other setting I changed was the HTT multiplier taking it down to 4.

For others who have the same problem I had with the TWINX20483200C2PT v5.1 DIMMs. Here is a list of the working DFI NF4 EXPERT's memory settings and for reference I have also included the non-stable BIOS auto settings in brackets:

CAS: 3.0 (3.0)

TRCD: 3 (3)

TRP: 3 (3)

TRAS: 8 (8)

Command rate: 1T (1T)

TRC: 11 (12)

TRFC: 13 (14)

TRRD: 2 (2)

TRWT: 5 (4)

TWR: 3 (3)

TWTR: 2 (2)

TREF: 1560 cycles (1560 cycles)

DQS skew control: Off (Off)

DRAM skew value: 0 (0)

Max async latency: 7 ns (7 ns)

Read Preamble: 5.5 ns (5.5 ns)

DRAM drive strength: Normal (#14) (Weak (#unknown))

DRAM data drive strength: L4 (reduce 00%) (L1 (reduce 50%))

Idle cycle limit: 16 cycles (16 cycles)

Dynamic counter: Enabled (Enabled)

32 byte granularity: Disabled (8 bursts) (Disabled (8 bursts))

R/W queue bypass: 08x (08x)

Bypass max: 04x (04x)

As you can see there isn't that much difference between the two. The stability particularly comes from the manually configured DRAM drive strength and DRAM data drive strength.

The TWINX20483200C2PT v5.1 also works perfectly in the yellow memory slots with the above memory settings but when using the BIOS auto defaults the system doesn't even POST! I suspect it's due to DFI providing the yellow slots with an even weaker drive strength.

I feel like I've mastered the black art that is DFI memory settings and hopefully my findings will help others who have been tearing their hair out like I did trying to figure it all out. :D

Archived