Corsair Community

Fried CPU/Mobo?

fluffybunni

Put a new system together using a corsair 620w PSU. Turned it on the first time and wouldn't post, however the lights on the motherboard indicated a CPU failure/ Bad CPU. Anyways, i turned it off and turned it on again and we see a pretty orange glow coming from the CPU. And yes, there was smoke too. So here is the question. Is there a possibility of this being the PSU? or is it a faulty Mobo/CPU? One thing is it is a e6550 Core 2 duo and a MSI Neo2 mobo. Since the 6550 is supposed to run the FSB at 1333mhz, i set the jumpers to that on the first boot (the one where everything came on but no post) so after setting them back to what the MFR had them set at, thats when i had the fireworks. I just want to make sure its not the PSU, becuse if it is then there is a possibility it took more parts with it.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
The motherboard and PSU both have protection built in to prevent the system to boot if there is a "short" detected in the PSU. In most cases if the PSU is faulty the system simply will not turn on. In your case it sounds like the CPU or motherboard may be responsible for the failure, however the only way to test for sure, would be to use the PSU in a known working system.

Archived