Corsair Community

Defective Corsiar XMS2 DDR2 800MHz 1024MB

slorkluk

Ok, my Vista Ultimate x64 machine was having problems (games randomly shutting down, video issues, program crashes, etc.) I decided to run memtest86+ and discovered that 1 out of 4 sticks of my Corsiar XMS2 DDR2 800MHz 1024MB ram went bad (was failing test). I made sure to run the test on all the other sticks for at least 12 passes and then re-ran the test on the bad stick to confirm; it was still bad. All BIOS settings for the ram are at stock (voltage, timings, etc.).

So now I want to warrenty this defective memory module. Just give me the instuctions and I will be happy to follow whatever steps necessary to have this stick of ram RMA'ed.

I bought this ram from a Corsair "2 GByte Twin2X Match Memory Pair" package from Newegg.com. The other stick is ok, I just need a single stick replaced.

Thanks

XMS6404v2.1

0652480-0

Ok, I increased the voltage to 2.0v and ran memtest overnight. I didn't get any errors. Why did I get errors with only this stick of ram at a lower voltage while the other sticks didn't get an error? Are these sticks supposed to run at 2.0v instead of 1.850v (stock MB speed)? Am I to believe that this stick of ram is not defective at all, but just needed more power to run properly?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
It is definitely possible that the modules would get errors when running at the default voltage. The 6400 modules are tested at 1.9v while the 6400C4 modules are tested at 2.1v. We can only guarantee that the modules will function properly when using them at the tested voltage!

• Corsair Employees
You never gave us the part# so basicly yes if you set the Voltage to 2.0 Volts and that solved youe problems then you are good to go. Do you have CM2X1024-6400 or CM2X1024-6400C4 or some othe varriant?

Part#: CM2X1024-6400C4

Also want to note that I just got a BSOD.

Here's a description of the error:

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

All my drivers are up to date, memory voltage set to 2.0v, so I am assuming that the only reason why I got this error was because of faulty ram. This error happened while I was playing F.E.A.R Combat.

Ok, now I am getting BSOD screens like crazy. I get the stop 0x50 when playing F.E.A.R Combat, I get stop 0xd1 when playing Lost Planet, and then I get the stop 0x124 randomly.

I have no clue what could be causing all of these different bluescreens, but I rescanned all my memory modules again with the higher voltage and they test ok, but in my experience, different types of BSOD usually equate to bad ram.

Would you mind taking a look at my mini dump files? I already ran them through the "Debugging Tools for Windows 64-bit" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263). I also included my DxDiag report as well.

Thanks

stop 0x50.txt

stop 0xd1.txt

stop 0x124.txt

DxDiag.txt

• Corsair Employees

With 3+ GB of memory in a Vista system you will want to make sure you have this patch installed - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us. Make sure you download the correct version (32 or 64 bit).

If the memory is bad, it will most likely be showing errors in memtest with an individual module. If you have already tested the modules individually and none are failing, then I would suggest to test all 4 at the same time to see if they get any errors. If they fail when tested 4 at a time and pass individually there may be a configuration issue.

I reset my bios to all original settings, changed the memory voltage to 2.1v and have it set to auto instead of unlinked. And then I installed that patch you recommended. So I will see what happens after a few days.

I also ran a bunchmarking program for nearly 8 hours last night using heavyload (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml). Everything was ok, no restarts or glitching.

Just to let you know, I was able to get rid of my other issue of "nvlddmkm stopped responding" by disabling Aero in Vista. Now I can use Nvidia's 162.22 drivers ok (or perhaps it's the problem???).

Thanks again

Archived