Corsair Community

Asus Striker Extreme w/

Connekted

Built a new machine and can not get my striker to post, can not see anything on monitor. Get a few errors on the lcd poster. Asus has said it something to do with using ram and to check the QVL.

TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO This is the ram I bought. The version it supports I believe it TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (no pro).

Is there anyway to get into the bios and get it to post with what i purchased so I can change the timing and volts so I can use it. And if I can't is it a sure thing that the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 will work. The QVL technically says CM2X1024-6400C4.

I am asking the forums because I am sick of my computer not posting and do not want to buy ram sticks all day and night until finally one works.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

• Corsair Employees

Scott,

Did you try the modules one at a time? If so and the system will not post with either module then its most likely not the memory. Do you have the 4 Meg Quad Core Q6600 or the 8 Meg version? If you have the 8 Meg version you will need to talk to ASUS about support for that CPU.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is what I have:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

I have 1 stick of ram in every slot, trying all these little reset tricks and different things that people have been saying in different forums. The asus support said to hook up a speaker to see what beeps it makes with no ram, etc etc, if i get one long beep and two short ones then its a ram issue for sure.

I dont want to be running around returning and buying memory if its my mobo.

Anything else you know that I might be able to try?

Cheers,

scott

With 1 stick of ram in slot closest to cpu, i get 1 long beep and 3 short ones. It also started this beeping when it was at det vga on the lcd poster, but it pasted it and got stuck on another error.

With no ram I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. This beeping cycle repeats. The other didn't..

I did notice that the first test with 1 stick or ram started the beep when my lcd poster was at the VGA

any ideas?

Mr. Ram Guy, =)

Here is my update. One of my slots was not working and my machine booted right up and I could get into the bios once I moved my GTX 8800 card. It booted right up with both sticks of ram (C4PRO).

I haven't adjusted any timing or voltage as the machine is running very smooth. I put my OS on, flashed the bios and its perfectly smooth. I will tweak it a bit later.

The one thing I am trying to determine is if the other slot is not bad, because in my bios there are a bunch of settings regarding SLI, etc etc.

Regardless I have a 3 year warranty and they will ship me a new board without me having to send mine it until it gets here.

But I am happy to report that my memory was not the issues, everything is smooth and stable.

Any suggestions on what I should tweak the settings to for my striker?

hehe

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks, I'll try those. It's a bit exciting now that I have a bunch of good gear to mess with. I had a junker pc that couldn't run anything. I mainly have been using a Mac.

Finally I have something that I can do some serious damage on with regards to gaming and video streaming.

The main motivator in building this machine was gaming and streaming. Actually doing both at the same time. Broadcasting live tournament matches through the web. I will be doing Unreal Tournament 2004 matches now that the machine is working. If your into gaming, def check it out. http://www.pwnage.tv

.. Now I ponder if I should overclock this from 2.4 to 3.0-3.4

haha

Cheers,

Scott

Couple quick questions. How should the LEDs be looking on the RAM. I haven't messed with any led ram before so I want to make sure its not running incorrectly.

Last night my machine just powered down during Unreal Tournament. Happened a few times. Heat isn't an issue everything is cool and my powersupply is more then enough to handle the hardware. Thought it could be the ram settings possibly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers,

Scott

• Corsair Employees

Scott

The LED's just show activity on the memory Buss that's all.

And if the system is turning off that would suggest a power or thermal problem. If the system is restarting are you getting a BSOD message?

No BSOD message. Just the power is cut off. Completely dead. I have to hit the power button to start it up. I noticed it only happened during the game when I was using some preprogrammed script someone made for my G15 keyboard.

I am going to see if it does it again. Last time it did it i turned everything back on and checked the temperatures and everything was low. My powersupply is a thermaltake toughpower 750. It should be more then enough.

I guess ill see if it does it again..

thanks for the info

Cheers,

Scott

• Corsair Employees
That would normally suggest a power problem, but I just ran into an issue with a KB that has a power button on the KB and the system was just turning off found it to be the power button on the KB was causing that and turning it off in power management solved that problem. But I would check the event log and see if it tells you what caused the shut down.

I have 2 gigs of Ram and its saying that when playing unreal tournament i am using up to 51% of that. Seems a bit high. I am not sure why the power cuts and I am hesitant to think I was shipped a faulty power supply (850w thermaltake).

I did go through the logs and events and it did not record anything from when the power just cuts. I am trying to narrow down the problem see if its something else before returning the psu.

Any other things anyone can think of to figure it out?

Cheers,

Scott

• Corsair Employees
When I say a power problem, I am not saying its your PSU that is the problem; just that it suggests a power or thermal problem. However, since you have a newer CPU it could be as simple a BIOS update. And I would check with the MB maker especially if you have tested the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and do not see any problems.

I am going to use the mem test tomorrow. I have to get a floppy to run it off. I did use nvidia ntune and it changed a few things around and now it doesn't power off during games.

I will get an image of what everything is running out. It is weird because if I do not run with those settings the computer will power off.

Hmmm..

Ok, being that I am not a patient person and having something that isn't 100% working properly motivates me to keep screwing around, I did just that.

I uninstalled the Nvidia Ntune and had put my Ram settings as you had mentioned in an earlier post. 2.1v 2T sli cpu 0% and then put the timing to 4-4-4-12.

I booted up and it was fast and smooth. I tried to games by themselves, no power off. Then I opened both games at the same time, switching back and forth from full screen between the two games (UT2004 & FEAR). The power did not shut off.

This also helped fix the crackling and static that was screwing up my inputs for my sound.

I am going to leave everything this way and see if over the weekend my power just goes out like before. I will do the mem test to verify that everything is ok.

Is there a good software utility that I can run in windows that will give me a read out of all my voltages, mhz, frequencies, etc etc.. ?? Cause I would like to run that and send you the values because maybe I am just missing something in there that was making my machine mess up.

But as I said, from my 2 quick tests late last night and this morning, everything seemed good.

Cheers,

Scott

( i'll post back laster tonigh or tomorrow with my computer's status)

Archived