Corsair Community

Can I RMA - MB Incompatiblity with Elpida or ProMos RAM Chips

I have a set of Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 RAM, and a DFI ICFX3200 Motherboard. Unfortunately, I can only use these modules at stock speed, or above 460MHz (where they do not function.) due to a compatibility issue. Is there any chance I can RMA the modules for a set with non Elpida or ProMos RAM Chips?

Here's the info off one of the sticks:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5435/corsair3my.th.gif

Click to enlarge.

Edit: This info was given to me by John (Praz) Over on the DFI forums.

• Corsair Employees
Your modules are based on Promos and they are rated at 800 MHz at Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 Volts. running them at 460 MHz is DDR920 and a great over clock for this part. If you want to over clock your system I would suggest using them in another system and getting our Twin2x2048-8500C5D modules as they are based on Micron D9 and will over meet those requirements.

Your modules are based on Promos and they are rated at 800 MHz at Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 Volts. running them at 460 MHz is DDR920 and a great over clock for this part. If you want to over clock your system I would suggest using them in another system and getting our Twin2x2048-8500C5D modules as they are based on Micron D9 and will over meet those requirements.

I'd LOVE to run these sticks at 460, they just wont do it. I've bumped the voltage up to 2.2, loosed timings ridiculously (to 6-6-6-15) or even more, I can't really remember. I can't believe I spent all this money on RAM (at the beginning of the year, ram was $$) only to hear that I need to spend even more just to get D9 Chips (Which these modules used to be based on-the whole reason I bought them.)

Any more suggestions?

• Corsair Employees

The move to Promos was last summer and it was across the board all of the modules makers were having a hard time getting Micron IC's and we like every one else were forced to make the move to another IC.

This was the response that I posted before in reference to that question.

Using Micron Vs Promos IC's that was done across the board and all Module makers have made that change even Crucial is not using Micron IC's on their PC2-6400 modules if you check. At least the modules we have from them at the same speed grade are Promos or Elpida. They like us will have some limited Fall out from the higher price Micron IC's and will end up at a slower speed grade. The change to use Promos was because Micron could not meet the demands for the DDR2-800 market and like most Module makers that sell in any Volume made the change to a IC that was more readily available. All of our XMS modules are tested at a rated spec and the IC we use is subject to change at any time if there is another IC that would meet the needs of that given part#.

I would encourage you to use our XM2S-8500 or faster modules as they are all Micron Based IC at this time.

It is a misconception that the change was done for the Bottom line, it was done because the DDR2-800 speed was not a over clocked speed and was becoming standard and the Micron IC's we first used were not always available. And now getting an abundant supply to fill all the orders for our faster modules is not always an easy task and still have back orders from time to time.

Archived