Corsair Community

Dead XMS1024-3200PT Module

carhoy

About a month ago I revamped my PC and got a new motherboard, Asus A8X-S, a new video card, eVga nVidia 8600 GS PCI-e, and new RAM, Corsair TWINX XMS Platinum Series, my processor is an AMD Athlon 64 FX 55 and I have an Antes 550W ATX PSU. All was working fine for a couple of weeks and then one day my PC froze. I pressed the reboot button but the PC didn't POST back up. after disconnecting everything and moving everything around I realized that one of the modules was not working, now the PC works properly but only with one of the 2 modules.

Since this is the second time one of the 2 modules fails, previously I had TWINX 512 Corsair XMSPro with an Asus A8V-Delux, GeForce 7800 AGP card and the same processor, I'm wondering if there's an issue with AMD processors and Corsair memory modules.

I've tested all the slots on both motherboard and I know it has nothing to do with the motherboard.

• Corsair Employees
That might suggest there is some type of power problem with your system, let's try replacing them and if you have the problem again I would check your MB, CPU and or PSU. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

It could be a power supply problem. Nonetheless, the first pair failed with a nvidia 7800 AGP graphics card which is nowhere near a power hog as the nvidia 8600 PCI-e I'm currently using. Note that it's only ONE card, no SLI here, and the video card doesn't need external connection to the power supply.

The failures are random, there's no discernible pattern because the first module lasted 6 months, but the second one just 3 weeks.

Archived