Corsair Community

stability issues

andrew1626862300

Hello, a few months ago I built a new computer with the specs below...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4Ghz

MOBO: Asus P5N-E SLI

MEM: XXXXXXX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

VID CARD: MSI 8800GTS-T2D320E-HDOC GeForce 8800GTS 320MB @ Nvidia stock freqs

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS

DVD: Samsung DVD Burner SH-S183L

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX

fully updated os and drivers (tried on both vista home premium 32bit and win xp pro sp2)

...and I have been getting random bsods at random times (sometimes right after startup and sometimes after running for days). I have pretty much ruled out the HD, cpu, memory, and overheating as problems, but through my emails to Asus tech support, they have said that with the setup I have, I need a power supply that can do 24A on the 12V rail. It looks like from the specs of the 520HX I have, it will only do 18A (or is that per connector?). I kinda feel like this is a bogus response from Asus since I have been able to play some intensive games for hours without problems and that would be when my computer would be drawing the most power.

Anyway, could I be having problems from a lack of amperage on the 12V rail? Or could it maybe be another problem with my power supply?

I have been making the rounds to each of the manufacturers of the parts in my PC for help to try to figure out this problem, so any help from the Corsair camp will be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Andrew

the stop code is almost always different

thats what has made this so hard to pinpoint

at least i know now that it probably isnt the psu

thanks

If the stop code is very random then I would suspect some sort of memory related issue. This could be the CPU cache, the system memory, video card memory etc. In the past, when I have seen totally random failures, it has often been memory related. It could also be a case short. I would inspect closely around the I/O panel.

ive run memtest86 overnight and it came back with 0 errors, ive run windows memory diagnostic (which also tested cpu cache) and it came back with 0 errors, and i ran MemTest and it came back with 0 errors

ive run 2 instances of prime95 overnight, nvidias stability test thing, and a cpu burn in that was on the ultimate boot cd and all worked just fine

ive run seagate's HD test utility that was on UBCD and it came back with 0 errors

one thing i have noticed that is very annoying is that if i dont ground myself first, touching the front usb ports on my case with a usb drive or any usb connector will cause the computer to instantly turn off, and if its off, i can actually turn the computer on that way

i have checked all the connections from the front io panel to the mobo and they are correct, but i dont know why this would be happening. could this one of the side effects of a case short that is also causing my random bsods?

Archived