Corsair Community

Hx520w clicking without load.

PeteLikesPie

After building a new rig i've come across many problems with the parts. Firstly a motherboard blown, whether the psu did this i'm stil not sure. All cables were fine, i also experinced the cpu fan speeding up on boot a day beforehand. All tempatures when the system were running were very cool, board 45' cpu idle at 22 load 35. Suddendly it all died, rebooted and never came back.

Upon removing the motherboard which i deemed faulty, i jumped the psu to start with 2 fans connected and one cd drive. The unit started clicking. When i opened and closed the drive the clicking stopped. Strange?

With further reading it leads me to belive its either a voltage problem with the ovp , causing it to feed out more than it should blowing my parts. Can you perhaps explain what could cause this repeated clicking when its not loaded? Nothing in the fan area seems to be clicking, good clearance no whizz of the fan. sound is coming from inside the psu.

Would it be advisable to put a new motherboard onto this psu? or is the psu faulty and causing the shorts?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
That is not un-heard of when its not loaded, do you have another system you can try it in? If not we can try and replace the PSU if you like. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

AFter connecting this to another motherboard today. Clicking has stopped but the cpu fan goes up alot higher for about 5 secs when i power up. Then randomly the 3 fans connected start to lose power. Each bulb flickers during load.

Surely this isn't normal?

Archived