Corsair Community

Need some advice...

capt_Bama

Hello, I am putting together a computer with an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard coupled with the Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz processor. For the most part I am going to run everything at stock speeds. I was looking at some of the different types of DDR RAM offered and I decided on getting one stick of CMX512-3200C2. Eventually I would like to upgrade to 1024 and get a second stick of this ram but for now 512 is really all I can afford. Primarily I will be using this computer for home-based flight simulation/gaming. I just ordered this ram from NewEgg yesterday before I found this forum. My question is did I make a mistake by ordering the single stick of CMX512-3200C2 for this set-up? Should I have ordered a matched set of TwinX256-3200 C2 instead? If I had the extra money right now I would have ordered the TwinX512-3200 C2 but I figure down the road I will add a second module of the CMX512-3200C2 and essentially this is the same set-up right? I know the TwinX is tested to work as a matched set but will it really make that much of a difference? I'm hoping this will work OK because it's already on it's way. I am pretty much a newbie and sure would appreciate any info. Thanks, -Frank

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest that you get what you plan to use if possible. However, you can do it that way but running to single modules of CMX3200C2 the suggested settings would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7. You might think about our Value Select instead as they would a bit less and you might be able to get VS1GBKit400 instead

[quote name='RAM GUY']I would suggest that you get what you plan to use if possible. However, you can do it that way but running to single modules of CMX3200C2 the suggested settings would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7. You might think about our Value Select instead as they would a bit less and you might be able to get VS1GBKit400 instead[/QUOTE] I checked out the price of the VS1GBKit400 and for about 40 dollars more I could get this...but isn't the CMX3200C2 much better for gaming? From what I have read about this model it gets great reviews. Is there really that much of a difference between getting the twin set as opposed to one at a time...especially for this particular MB? (I noticed that the P4C800E was tested using TwinX not CMX). Ideally I would prefer to get the TWINX1024-3200C2 from the get go but since I really can't spend that much right now I would rather build a set of the better ram than get a cheaper version of 1024 right away...unless the value ram is really that comparable in performance. I'm spending a good chunk of change to put together a high performance system and I want to do it right, so in your expert opinion if the Twin set is the absolute best way to go I guess I could reluctantly pull out the old Credit Card. New Egg said I could return the CMX512-3200C2 and get the TWINX1024-3200C2 without any problem within 30 days. I do appreciate your help! Thanks, -Frank

Archived