Corsair Community

Asus Commando + TWIN2X2048-6400C4 what is the problem ?

muttleydk

Hello

I made a post some time ago, and i kinda never solved my problem.. I belived it was my Graphic card after all that was my problem, but i dont belive that anymore.. Here is my problem:

I can run all the RAM/CPU test's there is out there, and noone makes errors running for 10 hours..

But as soon as i start World of Warcraft i get graphic Errors within max 30 mins.. That is when i use 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 tested with 1.9v and 2.0v at 2.1v i get Errors within 2-4 mins..

If i then lower the RAM speed to 667Mhz using the same 1.9v and 4-4-4-12 setting, my World of Warcraft can run for at least 1 hour, sometimes 2 hours before the errors comes..

If i got all the way down and select 533 Mhz again with 1.9v 4-4-4-12 setting, with that i havent seen any error yet..

It this a sign on bad combination of RAM, Mobo and PSU

Or is this a sign on bad hardware, if so, what is bad, the RAM,PSU, CPU or GPU.. i tested with an Asus p5k Mobo, that did the same thing, so it kinda can't be the Mainboard..

What will be the best for me to do, to find the problem ? Memtest86 dont help me here..

I think its funny that memtest dont show errors, when World of Warcraft clear show that lowering RAM speed change error rate.. Could it be my PSU that with 3D use and high Mhz cant handle the power needed ? It is as you can see a Corsair HX520w

I of cause have all new Updates in drivers and BIOS.. Reinstalled Windows XP pro 3 times, and WOW 2 times.. The problem is the same no matter if i use tons of addons in wow, and high 3D settings, or i use no Addons and default settings..

Sorry for my english..

Update:

Now i have been able to play WoW 3.5 hours x 2 and still no errors, with 533 Mhz 4-4-4-12 1.9v Could i have bad RAM, even Memtest86 dont show any errors in 10 hours ?

Problem is that i dont use my computer for much beside WoW, and of cause normal windows use (web browsing, office pack, windows media player)

I dont get errors in 3Dmark 2006, and Unreal Tournament 2004, but i have only testet them in short amount of time.. 3Dmark 2006 1 normal test, UT 2004 maybe 1-2 hour each time..

I just find it funny that i dont get any errors in WoW, when i lower 800MHz RAM to 533MHz.. i dont say it is the RAM, but something is wrong.. Also, i read that the modules are tested with 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v if i set the voltage to 2.1 volt, all 3D applications/games make the computer do BSOD or reboot in 2-5 mins.. So in my case, the modules cant handle the 2.1 volt

Also sometimes when i run Memtest86, my computer restart before the program is fully executed, but if i get in and start the test, it never from that point restart the PC.. Could it be an Unstable PSU ?

A side question, what does it mean when Asus writes:

(This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128 Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules)

My TWIN2X2048-6400C4 is double sided and has 8 chips on each side.. is that = "double sided x16 memory modules" or what is?

I have now been playing WoW at 533 Mhz for over 15 hours, and no errors..

• Corsair Employees
A side question, what does it mean when Asus writes:

(This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128 Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules)

My TWIN2X2048-6400C4 is double sided and has 8 chips on each side.. is that = "double sided x16 memory modules" or what is?

We use By 8 memory IC's so that is no issue. Just this MB would not support a modules made with By 16 memory IC's

And the errors you stated would suggest some other problem, with ASUS MB's you have to disable Legacy USB when ever you run any memory test.

ok, thx very much for the help.. This support is great and fast..

For now i will just use the RAM at 533 MHz then.. Its better then not being able to play ..

If i find out more some day, ill return..

For now, thank you

/muttleydk

Ohh by the way, what is the best timing/voltage for these modules at 533 MHz ? now i use 4-4-4-12 1.9v

Hi muttleydk,

had exactly the same problem. ;)

Try the memtest which you can find here: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

This memtest runs directly in Windows. Although this tool is not certified by Corsair it helped me to find the broken Ram module.

So just go into Bios and enter the specified values for your Ram (DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12, 2.1V, USB Legacy disabled). Now put one of your Ram modules in one Ram slot of the MB and test this module with this Windows-memtest. If no errors occur for lets say 8 hours you can be sure this Ram module is fine. Do the same for the second Ram module (remember to put it in the same Ram slot as the previous one). If also no errors are produced for around 8 hours, you can be sure the Motherboard is the problem!

Good Luck.....

Fabian T.

@Ram Guy

I know I posted this before, but I would like to make clear why I suggest this test so persistent. :o:

At first I would have said the same as you did, because windows based tests seem to be more vulnerable to other faults, than a test running outside windows. But:

1) Like it happened to muttleydk, my Ram was tested with http://www.memtest.org the whole night long, without any error occuring. Only Windows was unstable as Hell.

2) Testing one Ram-Module at a time with the test from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/, only ONE of the Ram-modules produced errors. The other one ran stable for over 8 hours testing! (same Ram slot, same settings: USB legacy disabled, DDR 800, 4-4-4-12, 2.1V). By using only the "fine" module, my windows is stable as a rock!

==> There is no other explanation for this than a bad module, from my point of view!

3) On the Support page of the Windows-based test it says:

Q: MemTest found errors that another memory testing diagnostic did not. Why?

A: MemTest has a more powerful technique for finding memory errors. Your RAM subsystem is bad, even if the other program can't find the problem. Furthermore, MemTest finds the sorts of errors that real programs will trigger, so if it finds errors, you should not ignore it.

Of course this is also marketing-drivel, but in my case it seemed to have a true part.

Power Supply: Be quiet Straight Power 450W. Therefore not sufficient power couldnt be the problem either.

The temperature in my PC is around 45-55 degrees (motherboard, GPU, CPU). This shouldnt be too high.

Regards

Fabian T.

• Corsair Employees

That would suggest to me its not a failing module, but rather a issue with the system configuration and one module may have been a bit weaker then the other. If you are not getting errors in http://www.memtest.org but you are in windows that is not a failing module. And the problem needs to be looked at differently. But please do not suggest that as an end all program because it is NOT.

You got your system working and that is great but it may not have been a failing module just a reaction of your system components and I do agree sometimes changing the modules may correct a problem like that, but I would really prefer that suggestion come from us please. Other wise in this case replacing the modules may not always solve the problem.

See your point! :!:

Im just very happy that my system is finally stable, and wanted to share my experience.

Nevertheless: Thank you very much for your help all the time. Best and most ambitious support ever! :biggrin:

Regards

Fabian T.

Archived