Corsair Community

4 gig wont work in new ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus

bcaway

Hello, Im new here, and dont know all the buz words, etc. but I do require some advise.

I just built a new system using the following:

MB: ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus

CPU: Intel core2 duo 2.66

Video: 2x BFG 7950 GT OC 256mb in SLI mode

Memory: 4 gig (4x1gig) Corsair CM2X1024-6400 5-5-5-12 800mhz XMS2-6400 - XMS6405v4.1 (using 2 matched pairs)

Bios: Rev 0302

Bios is stock - and no overclocking - everything straight out of the box.

Issue:

The system was behaving extremely unstable, with files unable to be copied form install CD, and blue screens - page faults, memory dumps, and cmos checksum errors. after 4 trys at installing the OS, I pulled out 3 pieces of memory and the install went perfectly.

I added one more gig (curently runing a mached pair for a total of 2 gig) and the system is faultless.

Questions:

1) Is the momory I have compatable with this Motherboard?

2) Do I need to change any bios settings or install a patch for XP to run 4 gig?

Thanks in advance

Brian

• Corsair Employees

Please try the following settings:

Sli ready: Disabled(This setting has nothing to do with your graphics configuration)

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

1.2V HT: 1.25v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

SB Core Voltage: 1.55v

CPU VTT Voltage: 1.25v

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

OK that worked perfectly! Thanks for the prompt help~

on unrelated question, I was running Asus PC probe to monitor the temps and during BF2 the alarm when off the MB temp was at 99 degrees F, is that ok? what threshold should I set it to before I should be concerned?

kind Regards

Brian

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Please try the following settings:

Sli ready: Disabled(This setting has nothing to do with your graphics configuration)

I'm having the same trouble as the first one. 3 gig works fine without me having to adjust anything, but as soon as I put in the fourth I get a blue screen during bootup or after loggin screen (I never get as far as seeing the desktop).

I've tried the first part, about changing voltage, but that did not work, and I'm not sure about the later part, where do I change those?

"TCL: 5

TRC: 24"

I presume none of my ram slots nor the memories in themselves are broken, since I can run memtest on them all (as long as I dont use 4 gig, then it crasch and reboots)

Have you updated to SP1? If not, remove two sticks, enter Windows, update to SP1, shut down, insert the two sticks and restart.

Chipset

Memory Timing Setting
tCL = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 12
Command Per Clock = 2 clocks

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD = Auto
tRC = Auto
tWR = Auto
tWTR = Auto
tREF = Auto
tRD = Auto
tRFC = 60  
Async Latency = Auto

• Corsair Employees
I've tried the first part, about changing voltage, but that did not work, and I'm not sure about the later part, where do I change those?

"TCL: 5

TRC: 24"

Please look in your manual under the BIOS section. Asus explains in there how to change the Advanced and OCing functions.

Right, I've tried the following instruction:

This did not work for me.

Althought, I have found another solution, I can get 4Gig memory by using my 2 old (TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF Dominator) with 2 of these new ones I bought (WTIN2X2048-6400C4DHX).

God knows why it doesnt work using all four new ones, but I guess I can send back 2 of the new and get a refund and satisfy with this solution :)

DerekT; I never tried your suggestion. Sure, I have SP1 installed, but maybe I should have tried your settings and see if it worked. I may do that tomorrow before I send them back.

EDIT:

I've now tried running memtest86, and it proved that the computer krasched almost instantly after the test start running.

So combining my old and my new memories did not work.

Archived