Corsair Community

P5K Deluxe and 4x1GB 8500C5D

dplus91

Hi

I am building a system on an Asus P5K Deluxe with 4 sticks of 8500C5D 1066MHz. Processor is Core 2Duo E6700, o/s is Vista 64 bit.

I can boot fine with 2x1GB installed in the yellow slots, having followed the instructions in the motherboard manual and changed the DRAM frequency to 1067MHz. However, if I add the other 2 sticks in the black slots, the computer won't even post. If I just add one of the sticks (making 3GB in total) the system posts and I can get into the BIOS but when I try to load into Windows, it never makes it and just reboots.

Can you advise which settings I need and how to go about changing them.

Many thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees

Yes That will work great with that MB as long as you have a 1066 FSB CPU, just get the latest BIOS and then load setup defaults and then set the timings to these:

Memory Voltage: 2.2v

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

Thanks for that RAM GUY.

Firstly, I changed to your suggested settings as far as I could find them. The only one I wasn't sure about was TRC. Is this Row Cycle Time? If so, there isn't a "24" setting but there is a 25.

Having changed the settings, I tried the other 2 sticks in the black slots but I had the same problem as before. Having swapped them over with the existing ones in the yellow slots in order to test them, I've discovered that one of them is faulty because I get the bsod. The other one from that set of 2 does work however.

Obviously I'm going to return the faulty stick, but my questions are:

1) should I return the set of 2 which contains the faulty stick, or just the faulty stick?

2) why won't my system work with the 3 sticks that work in sets of 2? i.e. 3GB total

Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees

1) should I return the set of 2 which contains the faulty stick, or just the faulty stick? Return the matched set so you get one identical pair.

2) why won't my system work with the 3 sticks that work in sets of 2? i.e. 3GB total. You may need to install the Microsoft KB929777 patch when installing more than 3GB. You will need to search on the Microsoft website and manually install, since it is not included in the Windows updates.

Archived