Corsair Community

Flash Voyager 16Gb problems

RustyMuppet

Hi,

I have just bought the 16Gb Flash Voyager and have run in to some problems.

I use a 40Gb Freecom product (1.8" HDD based) and have just over 8Gb of actual data. I figured the Flash Voyager 16Gb would be an ideal replacement being much smaller physically. I use it to run portable applications from, e.g. firefox and thunderbird (taken from http://www.portableapps.com).

I copied the menu system over and just two applications, firefox and thunderbird. I have a lot of extensions loaded on both and would really like to keep them.

On starting firefox nothing happened. I was waited at least 20 mins and then checked the running processes. Firefox was there and using minimal cpu time. I killed the process and tried again. This time it worked. I had an extension that needed updating so I updated it and restarted firefox. Again nothing happened but the process was running. I eventually killed the process and tried again - it worked!

Exactly the same thing happened with thunderbird and the (what seemed like) hung processes happened once every 2-3 times on starting the apps. The system memory usage for my installation of firefox is 100,000k and thunderbird is 60,000k (approx) - when the apps failed to start properly the usage was between 5000k and 25000k.

I done really know what is going on but I have never had these problems on the HDD based device. I had hoped the read speed would be better on the flash device, but didnt expect it to be eratic.

Smaller apps (like UltraVNC) worked every time.

I also tried changing to NTFS on the Flash Voyager to see if that helped.

Can anyone help me here (even if it is just to let me know what is going on if this behaviou r is expected)?

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employee

There should not be any hardware reason for that type of behavior, I would suggest contacting the maker of the software and see what they have to say, but a flash drive will be slower than a HDD and will take a bit longer to load.

Does the FV seem to work properly with other normal usage? Also what port are you using on your system, one on the front of your case or threw a Hub on the front of your case or threw a extension port?

This software is used by many people with flash drives - only 1 in my office though. Not sure if they have as many extensions loaded as me though. I may be able to pinch somebodys smaller capacity flash drive and see if it works on that.

Having only just got it I have copied the 8Gb of stuff over - which took a while (about 4-5hrs) - lots of small files (and my having 2-3 streams of copying slowed it down as well :(: )

I am using one of the front ports (sometimes with the lanyard when I have to put in my other usb drive).

Hi RustyMuppet,

I don't know why, but newer usb flash drives of many different manufacturers (it is not a corsair problem) have very poor write performance on many, small files. Because of this some portable apps do not work (start), e.g. Firefox, Pidgin, ...

It is a very annoying "trend" for us (the customers), because there is only one write speed listed in the data sheets.

• Corsair Employee
All of us have been forced to move to a Controller that is MLC based that has a bit slower performance but will meet Microsoft's requirement for Ready Boost and allow higher Density's. Sorry but that is industry wide, but we offer performance Flash Drive in our "GT" line of Flash Voyager.

Will there be a GT version of the 16Gb model?

I have had a little success with the stick over the weekend. I can now run portable firefox and it is faster than my 1.8" hdd based product (as I hoped for with a better read speed).

Updating/adding extensions though is painful and firefox will hang before restarting.

I would love to know if the GT versions can run these portable apps without problems.

Archived