Corsair Community

2gb 800 mhz vs 4gb 667mhz

LJT

Hi Ramguy. I am ordering a new system with the p5n-e sli motherboard and 2TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4gb total). I will be running xp pro (yes i know about the limitations of a 32 bit operating system, but still want 4gb). But i have read on these forums that with 4gb on this board the speed will need to be reduced. So my question is would 2 gb at full speed be better than 4gb at reduced speed? Which configuration would perform better?

Or would it be better with 5-5-5-15 2t timings and full speed for the 4gb (if this is even possible)? vs 4-4-4-12 2t timings at full speed for 2gb? Thanks for your reply, I dont know how you keep up with all these posts.

Note: I will not, do not have anything overclocked. Everything is stock.

Larry

It will depend on your usage. If you are not "needing" more than 2gb of memory then I would suggest that. However, if you are going to utilize more than 2gb of system memory, such as with multiple VPNs, HUGE Photoshop files, etc then the 4gb at 667 will outperform 2gb at any speed.

I have that MOBO and you should be able to run 4 x 1gb DIMMs at their rated timings at DDR800+. You will need to increase your NBv to do it however. I would strongly suggest a better NB cooler on this MOBO. Even at stock, with 2 DIMMs or with 4 DIMMs, and at stock or OCing, the cooler on this board is terrible.

Could you give me the specific settings you have in your bios for the ram please (assuming you also use 4 gbs)? If you dont use 4 gb, what settings would you suggest for 4gb? As for the cooling i will have "Intel® Certified High Performance Heatsink/Fan" would this suffice? The other option would be the "Arctic Cooling® Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink." Or are these 2 totally unrelated to the Northbridge cooling?

I am a newbie at this stuff, Thanks for your help.

Larry

Could you give me the specific settings you have in your bios for the ram please (assuming you also use 4 gbs)? If you dont use 4 gb, what settings would you suggest for 4gb? As for the cooling i will have "Intel® Certified High Performance Heatsink/Fan" would this suffice? The other option would be the "Arctic Cooling® Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink." Or are these 2 totally unrelated to the Northbridge cooling?

I am a newbie at this stuff, Thanks for your help.

Larry

Those coolers are for the CPU. Go to your favorite retailer and look in their cooling section for chipset coolers. You will find coolers there. I am water cooled now but, before I put water on this board, I used this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108072

This is not an endorsement of the brand or the retailer. This is just 1 example.

Great thanks, so would i use that for just the northbridge? or both north and south? (remember i wont be overclocking). And also will i have to take apart my motherboard to do this? If i do could you reccomend one (or give an example) as to one that is fool proof but will get the job done? I dont want to have to take out the motherboard. Thanks again.

Installing that NB cooler will only be to cool the NB, not the SB. It will require that you remove the MOBO from the case as you have to access the push pins for the stock cooler from the back side of the MOBO. Keep in mind that this is optional and a recommendation from my personal OCing experience. But, I think it is a good idea, especially with 4 DIMMs.

since i dont feel comfortable removin the motherboard, what if i just install a 80mm fan on the case that blows directly at the NB? would this be sufficient? Thanks again.

It will help some as any direct airflow will improve the cooling. However, the stock heat sink is poorly attached and that NB gets REALLY HOT. But, try the 80mm fan and if it does the job, fine. If not, you may need to go to plan B, whatever plan B is.

Archived