Corsair Community

Brand new HX520W buzzing :-(

TonyKL

Just unpacked my HX520W (ordered from ebuyer) and wanted to compare it to my existing PSU (Q-Technology). I have both PSU's out of the system but obviously connected to motherboard so that I can power them on.

I noticed that the HX520W was much quieter (this is pretty much down to the slow fan spin speed) but I hear electrical buzzing from the PSU. This noise is not coming from any other component in my system as the PSU is outside and I can clearly hear it from it - I don't get this from the QT PSU.

Any suggestions?

Are you using an APC or battery Backup? If so try it connected direct to a power strip.

Nope, the PSU is plugged directly into the mains. Since I've fixed it into the case the buzzing seems to have disappeared - I don't know if I just can't here is over the other fans now tho?

Chances are its not the PSU or just some normal noise, but if you hear it again let us know!

There is a lot of buzz on SPCR about buzzing Corsair HX psu's.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41464&sid=66b6b0f9d381d8cac601289112846fc1

jonnyGURU reported buzz in his HX520 review.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=28&page_num=2

There was a buzzing noise and the 120MM fan became very noticeable by test 4. Probably a transformer and likely an isolated incident. Often I'll have a PSU that buzzes, but a sample later on after the review has been published will reveal no buzz at all.

During crossload, the power supply continued to buzz, but even with a 3A load on the 3.3V rail and a 4A load on the 5V rail, with 13A on each 12V rail, the 12V rails hung in with 11.98, 11.96 and 11.95V. The demand on the PSU was still great, at 512.6W, so the fan was still spinning full tilt. But after I took the load off of the PSU and brought it back down to test 1's 123.1W load, it only took 15 seconds for the fan to spin back down to it's initial low RPM.

Performance (weight of 40%) gets a 9. Just like the 620W version, it's efficient, has active PFC and the voltage only dropped .12 for me overall. Unfortunately, I had to whack a half a point away for the buzzing noise and loud fan.

There seems to be more and more reports of the 520W PSU 'buzzing' I wonder how comon this is and why some people seem to hear it and others do not.

Do they all buzz but people are just not hearing it or have systems which have other fans which block out the noise?

Is it only on pretty silent systems that the buzzing is noticable?

Mike

• Corsair Employees
He was talking about the fan and we have tested almost all makes of PSU's and our PSU was one of the most quiet units, its possible that some might get a louder fan that others but if so its quiet a small number. However, if you think its to noisy we will be happy to replace it.

Archived