Corsair Community

680i, SLI, and 4GB Whats the compatibility issue?!

D4RK5T4R

I have an asus striker extreme and two vid cards in Sli. Im looking to buy new membory such as the TWIN2X2048-9136C5D but i read alot of reviews that said people that used the 680i chipset (which I gather the TWIN2X2048-9136C5D is optimized for) and 4gb of the TWIN2X2048-9136C5D RAM could not enable SLI unless they used just 2gb. So.... whats the problem? I'd like to buy this RAM and keep SLI but with all these problems that people are having Im not sure anymore. If someone could provide an answer for this that would be great. Thanks

• Corsair Employees
There is more loading when you add more modules and the system will not over clock as much with 4 modules as it will with 2. If you install four modules you will likely have to run the memory at DDR800. Its not a problem, just a limitation,

• Corsair Employees

The motherboard may or may not be able to run at the 1142MHZ DDR Frequency with 4 modules installed. I have seen results range from 1000MHZ to 1100MHZ on the average(A few incidents users could not reach 1000MHZ but I would list those as special cases). Depending on the memory you decide to use, you may try the following settings and gradually increase the Memory Frequency to find the max stable frequency on your motherboard:

FIRST THING CLEAR CMOS!!

Memory Voltage: 2.2v (8500C5D rated at 1066MHz), 2.1v (9136C5D rated at 1142MHz)

NB Core Voltage: 1.45v

SLI Ready: Disabled

FSB Memory CLock Mode: Unlinked

FSB QDR MHZ: 1066MHZ(leave at 1066MHZ when testing RAM, Do not OC)

MEM DDR MHZ: 800MHZ(start with 800MHZ increase by 20MHZ each time you test)

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2T

TRC: 28

If you want 4GBs buy a 4GB kit... you have been warned.

I disagree with the ram guy. 1066MHz fsb will not stress the ram and you will find an artificially high ram speed.

memtest86 will not find ALL memory errors, I’ve found the vista built in one to be much more reliable (read better and quicker at finding errors).

• Corsair Employees

It does not stress the RAM more when running 4 modules vs 2, but it does stress the memory controller on NB Core more. I have seen results from 1000MHZ to 1160MHZ max on the 680i chipset when 4 modules are installed. Increasing the following voltages may increase stability under higher frequencies:

CPU FSB: 1.4v

nForce SPP: 1.5v

nForce MCP: 1.55v

if you read his posts it looks to me like he's saying he doesnt want to give up SLI'ing his video cards by using that memory.

they mean the SLI-ready settings on the memory doesnt work with 4gigs, only 2gigs.

it's not about keeping video cards in SLI, its the speed profiles(lower cas) for the memory that cant be used with 4gigs.

keep ur video cards SLI'd, please LOL

Archived