Corsair Community

Asus MB & CMX Twinx 512-3200XL

Stever

I have a Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard with the CMX TwinX 512-3200xl . I was looking to upgrade my memory from 1G to 2G gut it seems that that memory type is no longer available. What would be a good match to get my system up to 2G. Thanks.

I have a Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard with the CMX TwinX 512-3200xl . I was looking to upgrade my memory from 1G to 2G gut it seems that that memory type is no longer available. What would be a good match to get my system up to 2G. Thanks.

There are no good matches for your existing memory, I'm afraid. The IC chips used in the manufacture of those modules are no longer being produced. Your best bet, in this case, is to find some other use for your existing modules, and get one TWINX2048-3200C2 kit for best performance. If you want to keep the 3200XL, and simply add another GB of memory, you will not be able to run your memory at anywhere near its full speed! Instead, you may be forced to run your memory at a molasses-slow PC1600/DDR200 speed (instead of the rated PC3200/DDR400 speed) with strange CAS 3-3-3-6 timings in order to even run stably. And even if you could find another TWINX1024-3200XL kit, you will be forced to drop your memory speed to PC2700/DDR333 and loosen your timings to CAS 2.5-3-2-x in order to ensure system reliability.

I know that you said TWINX512-3200XL. You actually meant TWINX1024-3200XL (which is comprised of two matched CMX512-3200XL modules). Otherwise, a TWINX512-3200XL kit is actually two matched CMX256A-3200XL modules, which means that you would have had to fill up all four memory slots on your motherboard just to attain 1GB. If your 1GB total of memory currently fills up all four of your motherboard's DIMM slots, then you have no choice but replace all four of your modules with a single TWINX2048 kit.

• Corsair Employees
There are no good matches for your existing memory, I'm afraid. The IC chips used in the manufacture of those modules are no longer being produced. Your best bet, in this case, is to find some other use for your existing modules, and get one TWINX2048-3200C2 kit for best performance.

This is exactly right. When using more than 2 modules in your system you will be limited to DDR333 or possibly DDR266. As RJLeong65 said, you would be best off getting the TWINX2048-3200C2 kit to reach your goal of 2GB of memory.

Thanks for the info. I knew something was up when I couldn't find those anymore anywhere. I place a order with Newegg for the TWINX2048-3200C2 kit, the price was reasonable and I think I will be happy with them . :):

Archived