Corsair Community

cm2x1024-6400C4 and Asus P5K (Vanilla)

tetranitrocuban

Hi everyone. I'm new, and sorry to burst in with uneducated questions, but I'm in the process of building a new computer and was wondering if I was headed for a compatibility disaster.

I've purchased an Asus P5K (vanilla version) motherboard, and on the Asus QVL for memory in the manual, they list the Corsair cm2x1024-6400C4 as a reliable memory purchase. I bought a twin pack to get 2 GB, but before I install them I wanted to know if it would be problematic to use this memory in this motherboard. The part number is listed as XMS6404v2.1 which is Promos memory. I've heard that this memory is flawed via various forums, but I figured this is the best place to ask. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Good advice, thanks! I'll be sure to flash the BIOS first thing. Would there possibly be a problem getting the machine to boot initially? I know the old P965 chipset boards couldn't even boot without 1.8V memory. I just have no idea if I should go buy another stick for setup purposes, or if I'll be able to flash the BIOS with the cm2x1024-6400C4 memory.

Thanks again.

These modules will have no issues booting at 1.8v., but if you adjust to the advertised timings 4-4-4-12@800MHZ make sure you adjust the voltage to 2.1v as well.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I just put together my machine over the weekend, and am trying to do some stability tests.

I let the BIOS handle the memory timings and voltage, but I am unsure that the P5K is assigning them correctly. I keep getting conflicting information from various software monitors. What's the best way to know what the voltage and timing of my memory is set to? Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
You will need to set it manually and then use the software to monitor the Voltages for your MB and CPU-Z is a good utility to see what the MB is actually running the timings and frequency at.

You will need to set it manually and then use the software to monitor the Voltages for your MB and CPU-Z is a good utility to see what the MB is actually running the timings and frequency at.

Thanks for the help. Sorry to dig this thread up yet again, but I was wondering... What are the appropriate timings and voltages of this memory if I wanted to run it in a 1:1 ratio with a 1333 MHz FSB? So, run the memory at 333 MHz (667MHz dual channel)?

Further question: The memory is detected by the BIOS, and auto settings have the memory running at 5-5-5-18. I cannot find the voltage it is running at when auto detected.

Are these timings okay? I am not looking for speed, but rather stability. The more aggressive timings seem to be giving me boot problems.

Also, can using the 4-4-4-12@2.1V settings damage my memory or motherboard at all? I'm not sure if that's overvolting.

Archived