Corsair Community

Asus Striker Extreme and CORSAIR dominator PC2-8500 CAS5

Jacubus

Hi there,i installed the memory today and everything worked fine on default settings-but hey,who runs those;).I tried changing timings in bios-everything works fine.Then i tried changing fsb....System will not POST.I reset the cmos,updated bios,checked everything twice,tried the trick with usb legacy-didn't work.I tried the unlinked,linked-didn't work.I have intel QX6700-i think it's quite capable of going on 1066 FSB;).Still i have no idea how i can deal with these.I enabled the sli ready memory option on cpu0%(something like that) and i got blue screen.Any ideas?

Asus striker extreme on 1301 bios

Intel QX6700

Asus GeForrce 8800 ultra

2GB Corsair dominator PC2-8500 CAS5

WDC WD5000 500GB

Creative X-fi Extreme gamer

Vista ultimate 64 bit

All drivers updated.

• Corsair Employees

Please try the following settings:

Sli ready: Disabled(This setting has nothing to do with your graphics configuration)

Memory Voltage: 2.2v

1.2V HT: 1.25v

NB Core Voltage: 1.5v

SB Core Voltage: 1.55v

CPU VTT Voltage: 1.25v

FSB- Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

FSB (QDR), MHz: 1066

MEM (DDR), MHz: 1066

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

And so i tried those settings and it went as follows:

First restart-POST ok,no windows boot

Second-POST locked after cpu info

Third and forth-I tried to change the bios setting and system hang while in bios(it took 5s or so)

fifth-i reseted the cmos,loaded default settings.

What else can i do?Those dominators were pretty hot when i had my hands in case...

OK so here is my solution.During my research on the porblem i run onto post which was about my memory and asus p5n32 sli.since asus striker extreme is a mobo based on this model i tried that solution and...it worked.I used the voltages You gave my,set up everything restart and bam.System is stable,cpu z reads memory on 533 MHz 5-5-5-15-2T.

The solution itself was quite simple-change the memory slots.I changed from dimm A1 and dimm B1 to dimm A2 and dimm B2.

Hey mister Ramguy i have encountered a problem here.

Yesterday i was playing normally when blue scrren appeared(SYSTEM_sERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by dxgkrnl).I've found info that stated that this error is caused by bad driver sending too much data to page file or something.Anyway i restarted,checked system and played sme more.Then i got another BSOD but this time the message was to long-it scrolled to the end of it and i couldn't read what was the problem.I tried restart but no post."RAM probems i thought" and so i restarted cmos but again post is incomplete or none.I tried one stick in every slot and then i tried another.They were ok however system hang up after post or when i was in bios.I left it alone for night as i had no idea what was going on(a bit frustrated i was).And today-tada!It is working.What seems to be the probolem?Can it be voltage?Thank you for help.

Ok I've just had the same problem.First system servie thing,then the long BSOD.I've put the Vista dvd and restored whole system still i can operate only on one RAM part in dimm slot B2.Can bios be the problem?i have all settings default.When i put two RAM parts i get filechecksum error.I'm really confused

Well I ended up returning my computer to retailer for service.What iI got lately was errors when running two memory sticks no matter dimm a1 b1 or a2 b2.System was stable only on one slot,both ram sticks were running ok in that one slot though.I guess mobo is the problem.Maybe the voltage for NB that Ramguy posted was too high:(

• Corsair Employees
The NB Core voltage I had suggested 1.5v is what we have used in the lab with no issues, and also the voltage I have recommended to all users when running either high frequencies or running 4 modules. Default voltage is somewhere between 1.35v to 1.4v so 1.5v is still withing the 10% spec.

As i wrote earlier the setting You posted were running fine though asus probe came with an error(although I double checked the bios for voltage),but after two days of normal work the problms came out.I just can't pinpoint the source of them.It is so frustrating-I've checked the software,plug out everything unnecessary(graphics card,sound blaster etc) but still i got boot/post problems.I think there might be a problem with bios-i tried booting up with two sticks in dimm a2 and b2 on bios 1303 but it didn't want to cooperate:(Then i tried bios 1102 and it booted to windows,I run the vista's memory check and it came with errors.However when i checked the modules separatly they were ok.During those days when my system was running with mem @ 1066 i checked the temperatures inside case and chipset and they were ok.I just can't believe that suddenly 3 of 4 memory slots had gone wrong.If you say you have checked the memory in lab on those settings and it was working perfectly stable then i have to blame asus:P

• Corsair Employees
I dont know Blame is the right word, but if the modules all pass one up or one set at a time with out problems and you only get this with 4 modules I would suggest talking to the MB and see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ram guy.I got my new board 2 days ago and I run some tests.SO far I've set NB to 1.4 V SB 1.5 V Mem 2.1 V 1.2VHT to 1.25 and CPU VTT to 1.25.Memory timings are 5-5-5-15-2T and freq. is 1066,unlinked in BIOS.I ran memtest 5 passess and no errors.I wonder how can I make timings tighter-should I lower each one by one and run memtest?Another question why 1T some people consider to be faster than 2T?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am the owner of the Asus Striker Extreme (Installed June 2007) with the Dominator 8500C5 memory. Since the purchase of the mobo I have had 3, yes, count that again 3 RMA's on the mobo back to Asus. At no time was I able to get the memory above 920mhz and that was running in 3:4 with the FSB. Unlinked only locked up the POST and one time the mobo wouldn’t get past the DET MEM post not matter what I tried (which including a memory swap) and the board had to be sent back. I have had NOTHING but issues with this memory and board. Asus support reps have told me because this memory isn't on their QVL list it may be an issue.....come on folks.....Corsair says the opposite. This memory was also a victim of the BIOS upgrade from 1201 to 1303. Bios Ver 1303 would not even POST, again the fingers points to the memory. My 2nd RMA was a short in the board and not the fault of the memory, but the 3rd? The board will not boot with either the Dominator or the Asus QVL listed Corsair CM2X1024-6400C3 which I tried as well.

Folks, I have gotten tired of swapping mobos. This will be the third time. The time I have been down (3wks) and the time spent taking apart and rebuilding have gone beyond reasonable time and cost. Anyone with any ideas, I am desperate at this point? I have tried all the advise in this thread, advise from Asus and Corsair all at the cost of a failed mobo, I was not able to get this memory to the 1066 2.2v it's slated at. I'm ready to go with an MSI board and OCZ memory and just call it a loss. Maybe my video cards are playing a role??? :confused:

• Corsair Employees

Jacubus

I think you will find some explanations of the BIOS settings help full from Techarp in their BIOS Optimization Guide! And 1T Command Rate is faster than 2T but if you have an Intel platform or more than 2 modules installed 2T command Rate would be suggested.

TheRealOmegaMan

Have you tested the modules one at a time and what are the exact BIOS settings you are trying to set?

Archived