Corsair Community

Omziff- alternative to TrueCrypt?

Betrock

Just got my Flash Voyager GT, which came with TrueCrypt.

Unfortunately, the whole purpose of this new drive is to allow me to use 'strange' public computers, or company 'pool' computers without leaving any trace, and with safety.

TrueCrypt is the best, but requires admin rights - obviously not usually available on public computers, and certainly not on company computers. I'm aware of TCExplorer which lets you get around that. However, it's all too compicated and TrueCrypt is waaay more than I need. I am not a spy!

Omziff is free, has no dependancies, but I can't find any info on it, and apparently the built-in Help is pretty thin. I'm not a great one for "Oh, just download it and see!"

Anyone have any experience, info, guidance, help with this software?

http://www.xtort.net/xtort-software/omziff/

Or does anyone know of another 'Stand-Alone' encrypt/decrpyt that would be appropriate for jump drive?

Best to all,

Betrock

• Corsair Employees

Thank you again for taking the time to post that!

I am making this thread a sticky so please if you or any one has software they use and you want to post your concerns or reports please do so.

However, I would have to ask that you be detailed in your description and include a link and screen shots are always a plus. If you need help with your post please let me know. 800-205-7657 and ask for me.

• 2 months later...

I've been using Omziff for over a year from my Voyager flash drive just as you describe and it works fine.

It is a nice small app (one exe and a tiny ini file) that just does what you need in 246KB.

I've never had any issues with it running on various computers - always seems to be reliable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, TrueCrypt might be a little complicated, but it's SECURE. Can't beat it.

However, I've used Omziff with computers where I did not have administrator privileges. I am confident with its encryption (I'm a big fan of Twofish) but it is less secure because the files must be decrypted to your drive before you can use them, and being decrypted, there is some risk of being found out.

Be sure that after you encrypt your files, you might want use the Omziff shredder to delete the originals, because, as you probably know, simply deleting a file does not clear the data off the drive. However, if your jump drive uses load leveling as it probably does, then the areas overwritten by the shredder may not be the same ones that your plaintext data occupied, so you would be consuming flash memory write cycles for nothing. (Corsair: how about an option to turn off load leveling for such purposes?)

There is really no good solution to the problem on a computer where you don't have administrator privileges. TCExplorer is a step in the right direction, because you need only export the file you need.

Archived