Corsair Community

TYAN Tiger MPX w/TWINX CMX512RE-3200LL

Zombie9X

For anyone that cares; I've been researching why this seemingly straightforward mobo/mem combo doesn't work. Apparently, TYAN has received a lot of similar inquiries from others, and is going to test it out. If anyone's interested, I'll keep you posted. Got that, J1NG? :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
:D: TYAN and Corsair have pulled off another coup! Despite being "long in the tooth," the venerable TYAN Tiger MPX 2466-4M will accept Corsair's TWINX CMX512RE-3200LL, for those looking to step slowly into 64-bit computing. Memory voltage jumpers on the MPX (J99/J100) allow users to set voltage to the PC3200-desired 2.6v range by closing both jumpers. It is necessary to place the TWINX in banks 3 & 4, however (unsure if the 2 pairs differ in error correction protocols or registered module checking. Have not concurrently tested additional unbuffered DIMMS in banks 1/2 yet (and I really don't care at this point--happy as a clam)! Once again, anyone interested in stepping up to FX-quality parts piecemeal, REJOICE!

Zombie, are you talking about the right motherboard? The [url=http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigermpx_spec.html]Tyan Tiger MPX[/url] is an AMD Athlon [b]MP[/b] motherboard sporting a 266FSB... a fary cry from the Athlon FX. Or are you only referring to the memory? Regardless, the MPX is an older 32-bit platform. PLUR CK

[quote name='CandyKid']Zombie, are you talking about the right motherboard? The [url=http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigermpx_spec.html]Tyan Tiger MPX[/url] is an AMD Athlon [b]MP[/b] motherboard sporting a 266FSB... a fary cry from the Athlon FX. Or are you only referring to the memory? Regardless, the MPX is an older 32-bit platform. PLUR CK[/QUOTE] Actually, Zombie9X wants to migrate to Opteron/FX setups sometime in the near future (from another thread) and went and got the fastest RAM out right now for it. (The TWINX 1024 3200RE-LL). But Zombie9X hasn't got the motherboard or CPU at the moment and wants to use the MPX as a stepping stone to those technologies. By using the RAM in the MPX while waiting. However, Zombie9X obviously could not have realised that the MPX was not going to like the TWINX memory. I think that's what Zombie9X meant. Anyway, thanks for the heads up Zombie9X, I'll give it a whirl here. And scream bloody murder if it doesn't work ;): J1NG

OK, I've tested the system as you have suggested Zombie9X. J99 and J100 both enabled. And have discovered that the method does indeed work :biggrin: From further testing, I have also discovered that if you have two sets of TwinX 3200 1024RE LL (2GB total, 4x512MB), that this configuration will also work. However, the first two dimm slots can not be used, unless the third and fourth slots are populated first. So anyone looking to do the same, but for a system with 8 dimm slots (say the Tyan Thunder K8W), can try this too. Look to my Tyan Thunder K8W thread if you're wondering why I have 4GB of this cool stuff. :cool: . Darn support :evil: :p: J1NG

Archived