Corsair Community

Is it OK to have 4GB with 2 x TWIN2X2048-8500C5?

I just built a new system, after about 4 years, so it's been awhile and technology has changed.

My system, in short is:

2.4GHz quad core

Windows Vista 32-bit Home Preimum

8800GTS OC2

Asus P5K WS

I purchased this Corsair RAM

TWIN2X2048-8500C5

However, I purchased two of these, for a total of 4GB of system RAM.

I am not interested in overclocking, and I am running it in Auto.

Is this OK? I have been troubleshooting a dvd playback issue which causes instability in my system, so I'm just exploring all possibilities.

Thanks.

:confused:

• Corsair Employees

If you would like to check to see if the RAM is causing your instability, please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with multiple modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

The AUTO settings are perfectly fine however to gain the maximum performance of the modules you would need to either enable SLI-Ready Memory in the BIOS or configure the modules manually.

Hi RAM guy,

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded memtest, and I ran it last night before I went to bed with ALL 4GB installed. Is this OK? I figured you were asking to do one at a time to isolate the bad stick? I just wanted to see if there even was an error. So let me know if this was OK.

BUT, when I checked it this morning, I did see 8 errors.

I left all but one stick in the system before I left for work this morning. I figure I'll let the thing soak all day.

What do you think?

P.S. I re-posted this in the General Forums. This really doesn't belong here and I likely won't get the responses I need. THANKS!

Archived