Corsair Community

my corsair psu makes my cpu fan spin alot!

dajelele

hello corsair guys, i' m writing this because of a problem i have since a week.

i bought a corsair hx 520 psu less than a month ago. at first it was fantastic, very silent, cooling all my pc. but, all of a sudden, my cpu fan started spinning very fast even after small time of usage. it has pwm, so it usually slows down automatically, but since few time, there's no way to slow it down. all time with fan at 3000 rpm!! noisy!! i called the pc assistance and they told me to put up the old psu again to see if the issue was still there... and there wasn't! it's really weird, it should be the psu but it's a really strange behaviour, isn't it? do i have to get it replaced? thanks a lot for your support!

emanuel

system configuration:

Pentium d-915 2,8 Ghz

Asus p5lp-le (leucite3)

2 Gb pc2-4200 ram

x1650 pro 512 Mb

samsung 250 Gb 7200 rpm

thanks goodbye!

• Corsair Employees
I do not see how it can be a PSU problem other than maybe your old PSU is weak, but let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

• Corsair Employees
The 12 Volt can be between 11.3 to 13.1 Volts but +- 5% is well with in spec. I would test the PSU on another system and see what the 12 Volt is showing also check in the BIOS and see what it is

yep, stock cooler. but the strange thing is that in the first period it behaved perfectly... maybe this psu is just hotter than the old one? or maybe this summer is really hot!

i could try to change the stock cooling and put up a better one!

Edit: i removed the case side and things seem to be better... sorry for blaming corsair... :) i will keep you informed..

Same problem here and its not being put down to coolers.

I built a system with one of these 520w cosairs psu. After about a week i started getting the odd random crash. upon bootup the cpu fan would go booting it for about 30 seconds. The computer wouldnt boot up.. Sometimes clearing the cmos helped this, or disconnecting the psu for 10 minutes. It would start as normal and work for a while. Until yesterday after being on idle for 2 hrs i started a game of counter strike and it died not to power u:sunglassep again..

So with the process of elimination,i removed all the hardware and replaced the motherboard first. Same problem. So i removed the mother board and just had a psu unit in front of me. i jumped pin 4 to 3 on the 24 pin atx jumper and the psu started away. Connected dvd drive and yes theres power from the 5v. My guess is this has 3 12v rails? Set to help upon overload, either the ovp has gone faulty on it or one of those rails. IM hearing sligth clicking noise from the psu now. Until its put on load. ? Therefore it sounds even more like a rail is failing to power the system but if i push it enough it will use its other rails. So idle is outta the question? Im going to be testing this a bit more but some feedback from cosair would be nice? Your assumption on this problem?

Pete,

The clicking is normal when there is no load or a very light load on the PSU. If you could, please start your own thread so that your issue gets the proper attention. It can easily be overlooked at the end of another thread. Also, other than the PSU, your system has nothing in common with the OP here so I don't think you have the same issue.

Well, as RAM GUY noted, the PSU cannot do this. My guess is that there is a physical difference between the 2 PSUs that your MOBO has detected. Whatever this difference is, the MOBO bios uses it to regulate fan speeds for the CPU. Have you examined the plugs on the 2 PSUs and compared them to see if they are different in any way?

Archived