Corsair Community

available memory of 2 gb flash voyager with os 10.4.10

jhedges3

The amount of available memory on my 2 gb Flash Voyager has recently been wrong. For example, the drive now shows that it only has 53.8 mb available even though nothing appears to be on it. When I try to transfer a large file to it I get "...cannot be copied because there is not enough free space." The drive is formatted as "MS-DOS File System (FAT16)." I am reluctant to format it as something else since I occasionally transfer things to/from windows machines. I normally use the drive, though, with OS X. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

With a Windows system please format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax: Format (X:) /FS:FAT /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager)

If you still have problems we can get it or them replaced, please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I formatted the drive in Vista as you instructed ('format G: /FS:FAT /U'). At that point, the amount of available memory seemed correct, just short of 2 gb. The problem, however, is that the drive still is not clearing properly. I transferred several large folders in 10.4.9 (the transfers seemed unusually slow, although it's somewhat hard to tell). I then deleted those folders and cleared trash. Even after deleting, the amount of available memory was as if nothing had been deleted, with the available amount becoming less and less as I repeated that process. The incorrect amount remained even after ejecting and remounting. Thanks for your help.

Archived