Corsair Community

GA-P35-DQ6 + (CM2X1024-8500C5D) = No Post = Need Help!

Fred_Armer

Hey all.

I just built up a new gaming rig and I can not seem to get my Corsair memory to work. The MB is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6, and I have 4 1G sticks that came in sets of 2 from NewEgg. The Memory is labled CM2X1024-8500C5D.

With this memory in the MB, the system will not post. It seems like it is starting for 2-5 seconds then the fans stop, and it appears to reset. The power button does not work and I have to shut down with the ps switch.

It took me a while to figure out it was the memory. Currently the system is up and running with some old DDR2 667mhz I had in another box. It is rock solid with the lame memory.

My board is on F4 bios. I tried the sticks 1 at a time and 2 at a time, with the exact same results. I think I used the slot closest to the CPU when trying 1 stick at a time, and the 1st and 3rd slot for 2 sticks at a time.

I very seriously doubt that all 4 sticks from 2 different packages are bad, so I think I'm doing something wrong here. The BIOS is set to "Auto" for DDR2 Clock and "Manual" for power. I tried setting the power to Auto once and it had no effect.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Fred

i haven't seen on any other forums where something other that ram at 800Mhz worked on that mobo, please correct me if i'm wrong because i want to get that board and put 8gb of memory in it. Never the less 800Mhz should provide some descent specs even compared to ddr3. This is based on the testing these guys did (http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/p35-mobos/index.x?pg=1)

which seemed pretty thorough.

i haven't seen on any other forums where something other that ram at 800Mhz worked on that mobo, please correct me if i'm wrong because i want to get that board and put 8gb of memory in it. Never the less 800Mhz should provide some descent specs even compared to ddr3. This is based on the testing these guys did (http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/p35-mobos/index.x?pg=1)

which seemed pretty thorough.

All I can say is that the P35-DQ6 seems (at bios F4), very sensitive to what memory you throw at it.

See: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61956

Thanks for the feedback. The Gigabyte website claims that CM2X1024-8500C5 is supported. Is that the same memory as CM2X1024-8500C5D? I think I read in a thread here that they we compatible.

Also, can't memory that's capable of 1066 run at 800? I thought the clock was on the northbridge chip not in the memory itself.

Maybe I can set the CMOS setting to a lower speed setting (instead of auto) and get it to post. In any case thanks much for the feedback.

Fred

I'm delighted to report that I just got the box to come up with 2 8500C5D's at 1066Mhz.

What I did is this:

1. Set the CMOS setting for the DDR2 clock to 1066 instead of auto
  2. Turned off auto power management, and set the DDR2 overvoltage to .2v
  3. Put 1 stick in slot 1, and tried it. It spun up a little once, like it had done before when it failed, then came up!
  4. I then shut it all down and put another stick in slot 3. It still works!

I tried putting my other to sticks in (all 4) and it failed like before. My next step it to try them 1 at a time in slot 2 or 4 to see if I have a bad stick. Or maybe it only likes 1 stick added at a time. Or perhaps more voltage would help? My next available setting is .25v. I'm a little scared to try that. :bigeyes:

Thanks much for the help. Had it not been for the info on this forum there is no way I would have gotten it working. Also, had I not had some old DDR2 667 on hand to use to get into CMOS, I never would have gotten it working. Not word yet on stability. We'll see. :D:

Thanks,

Fred

Thanks. I just raised the voltage as suggested. I think I have narrowed my issues down to 1 failing stick. With this one stick of ram in the box, it will not post. I tried it in various slots and configurations. The system is up and running fine at the moment with 3 sticks in it. I think I'm going to RMA this one.

Thanks for the help!

Fred

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived