Corsair Community

2 x 512MB So-Dimm Both Dead? What are the odds?

Bunch

Hi!

I just bought 2 x 512MB PC2700 So-Dim modules (part # VS512SDS333) for my dad's Compaq Presario 2197CA laptop and when I put them in, the computer constantly reboots, nothing is displayed on the screen.

I tried each one individually in each slot but the same thing happens. I put back the 2 x 256MB modules that came with the laptop and everything is back to normal.

Did I get two bad Corsair modules? What are the odds of two them being dead?

This is the correct RAM according to the memory configurator. By the way, the configurator shows this computer as being capable of 1280MB RAM but my user guide says 1GB max and no built-in memory.

Very frustrating.....

BTW, I'm located in Canada, hope I don't have to mail these to Taiwan!?

Thanks,

Carleton

HI,

I just tried loading the default settings (with the Compaq ram installed), saved the settings and just as it was rebooting I pulled the power plug (battery was removed).

Then I inserted one of the Corsair modules, plugged in AC then powered up and the same thing happened, it just keeps rebooting, there isn't even time to get into the BIOS settings, nothing shows on the screen. I tried each module individually but no difference.

Is this RAM actually tested on the computers or does the memory configurator assume that they will work because the specs say so?

Thanks,

Carleton

• Corsair Employees
There is no way we can test every system no one can, we do testing on a given chipset but not with specific models. I would suggest contacting the reseller and asking if they will let you send them back and get a module that was suggested by the Notebook maker.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Why have a Memory Configurator that recommends RAM that isn't verified to work?

At this point I don't know if the RAM is bad or if it's not compatible with the Presario 2100 series of laptops.

If the store I bought it from takes it back they'll charge a 15% restocking fee and I can't tell them wether or not the RAM is good so they won't be able to re-sell it until they can test it somehow. Plus I would have to pay shipping to them. This Corsair RAM is going to get expensive.

Do you have a Canadian office (hopefully in Montreal) that I can send this RAM to to get it checked?

• Corsair Employees
If you want to pay three times the cost you are now for your modules sure no problem. But its not realistic to expect any manufacturer to test with every make and model of system ever sold. There is just no way to do that type of testing and I do not need to test every system to know our modules will work. That is what JEDEC is for and we are a member.

Archived