Corsair Community

stability issue is in high-GFX games

Resurecting an old thread here, but I've been having some similar stability issues as well, which I'd first put down to RAM, as when I ran MemTest86+ it gave me 3072 errors over a 10 hour overnight test period.

Working fine for 8+ months with my XP pro, then stability just plunges for the last 2/3 months. I can't even reinstall a clean copy of an OS onto a new drive, as XP x64 BSOD's in the install phase, and XP Pro becomes seriously unstable after a fresh install with drivers I *know* work, as they are the ones I use in my current XP install.

The main stability issue is in high-GFX games (which may be more to do with GFX card driver issues than anything), but it also crashes if I try and open up anything after just logging in to my user profile in windows, the whole system just "hangs." So I need to wait a minute or two for the virus scanner, firewall and other startup programs to load before atempting to do anything

I'm going to change my BIOS settings to same as was suggested in this post, as my memory/mobo/proccessor are all exactly the same as far as I can tell. As when I built this PC I didn't change any of the BIOS settings at the time. Hopefully I can make it a little more stable

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

And with this MB you have to Disable Legacy USB when ever you run any memory test.

• 7 months later...

I'm resurrecting this old thread of mine as I'm having similar issues again.

As this post was originaly part of another thread the details of the machine specs are missing so I'll post them up again:

AMD 64 x2 3800+ (Not sure of the core type but I can find out if necessary but I do remember it was revision E4)

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe BIOS version 1303

Twinx 2x1024 3500LL Pro

And the other important specs of my machine are:

Inno3D 7900 GTX 512MB PCI-E 16x

Creative SB Audigy Platinum eX

After the last post using the settings posted up in other threads, I had no memtest errors, and stability in my system was good (apart from buggy video card drivers). But the last few months I was having trouble just staying logged into windows so I decided to do a reinstall.

Reinstalling windows still saw me having a whole bunch of BSOD's and freezes. Varying from IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_POOL_CALLER, and a bunch of STOP code errors with no name. I searched around various forums and support sites, and noticed a few times that people upgrading my BIOS may improve stability.

So I upgraded my A8N32-SLI Deluxe's BIOS from 1101 (I believe) to the 1303 version, as this version says it offers more stability for 7900 GFX cards which I thought might have been the problem at the time. This of course reset the BIOS and all the memory timings I had manual put in before.

So after searching on this board I followed the link in your signature and entered the values in for the 3500LL Pro ram, although the settings were for a A8N32-SLI Premium when mine is just the Deluxe version. So basically the settings I put in were:

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 217MHz

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts

DRAM Clock: Manually set to 1:1 or 400MHz - On my Deluxe the 1:1 ratio is 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.0T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank - There were no options to change this as it was just Auto/Disable

Command Rate 1T - I believe last time I was told to put as command rate 2T

I had to change my CPU multiplier to 9x as my CPU runs fairly hot on default 2000MHz speed. So my CPU were running at 1953MHz each.

Also, whilst in the BIOS I disabled the onboard AC97 sound and USB legacy support. Everything else was set to Auto

I rebooted and inserted the Memtest boot CD and it displayed the following errors:

Test 4 Pass 0 Failing Address 0004CE413D4 - 1230.0 MB Good B030C1C6 Bad B030E1C6 Err-Bits 00002000 Count 6

Then I believe it failed again 3 times on that same address in pass 5.

I made a note of the memtest result and rebooted. Upon reboot my BIOS POST said Overclock had failed. I went into setup and it now displayed my clock speed at 1800MHz. I reset the BIOS again and left my CPU as running at the default speed 200MHz and the multiplier as 10x for a CPU speed of 2000MHz, I entered in the timing values for my memory to run at 2-3-2-6 but left it running at 200MHz with a 1:1 ratio.

My memtest results now are showing 77 separate errors (after 1 hour) all in test 4 with the failing address between 00046E413D4 and 0004CE413D4 between 1124.0MB and 1230.0MB with varying values in the the Good/Bad columns all with the Err-Bits 0000200.

I will be trying the processor and each individual stick of memory in another compatible PC to see if I can track down the problem to a specific stick, or whether it might be the processor giving the error.

Is this initial test a sign of bad memory? Or the CPU going bad? Did I set up some wrong settings somewhere in my Bios which are giving me this error report? I'll be posting up the results of memtest in another machine soon, to see if I still get errors on another machine running the memory.

Just a screen cap of the memtest screen after 3 hours and 20 mins. Up to 90 errors now. I'm now going to stop the memtest running and try different sticks.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/RonnieBoyUK/misc/memtest_screen_1.jpg

After testing the sticks individually, one was error free and the other was filled with errors, as can be seen here:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/RonnieBoyUK/misc/memtest_screen_2.jpg

So I guess this mean I'll have to send back the pair to you guys, right?

I guessed as much, but I was hoping for a reply before then so I could get the sticks sent off ASAP. Quicker I can get them sent off quicker I can hopefully get some replacement modules. Assuming they still have 3500LLPRO modules available.

Ok I've filled in the form and sent it off. Hopefully I'll get a reply today so I can get them sent off tomorrow.

I used the forum ID as seen in the address bar at the end of the address (61962), I assume that was the right ID?

• Corsair Employees
Ok I've filled in the form and sent it off. Hopefully I'll get a reply today so I can get them sent off tomorrow.

I used the forum ID as seen in the address bar at the end of the address (61962), I assume that was the right ID?

That should be fine, did you receive a case number yet? When you get it, let me know what it is and Ill approve your RMA ASAP!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll have to avoid mailing things over Easter again. As my RAM was stuck in postage limbo for about a week or so. Apparently on my package tracking page, it's "Your item, posted on 22/03/08 with reference {snipped} has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA." It's had that up there for a while now, so I don't know whether it's reached Corsair yet, or stuck in the US postal system, as my item tracking doesn't really say anything about where it is.

Would you know if it has reached Corsair yet?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry we can no longer check RMA status; please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext “0” or send them an email (rmaservice@corsairmemory.com) with your RMA# and ask them for the status!

• 1 month later...

Well it's been over a month now. I was in touch, by email, with the RMA service people. In the last 3 weeks I haven't received any reply to my emails from the RMA people, so I tried sending an email to rmaservice@corsairmemory.com and that was about a week ago and still no response.

Are there any other means of contacting the RMA department? Different e-mail addresses maybe? Other than by phone as I don't live in America and can't really afford to pay the cost of calling the numbers you provided.

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks on, and still no e-mail from the RMA department. And no the e-mails are not being caught by a junk mail filter. And yes the RMA department does have the correct e-mail address for me as they were replying on it.

Getting exasperated at the lack of replies by e-mail. I will try again, as I have no other option at the moment.

Archived