finga73

Hi, my specs are as follows

asus p5n-e sli

intel e6600 @ stock

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

BFG 640mb 8800GTS O C 2

Enermax Liberty 500W PSU

onboard sound

The problem I am having is that I built this system around 2 months ago and was running vista32 with my memory running at 1066mhz 5,5,5,15,2T @ 2.2v SLI ready memory set to expert and everything was perfect, system was rock solid.

About 1 month ago I installed my audigy 2zs and experienced a lot of popping and crackling and found out this was due to the creative card so I took it back out. Almost immediately I started to experience some wierd graphical glitches and the nvlddmkm.sys has stopped working error. I installed XP on this system and instantly started to get BSOD's with nv_4disp in an infinite loop error.

I believed it to be the graphic card however it functioned perfectly in my girlfriends pc running XP, and for one night my system ran fine with an ATI x1600 XT installed.

I swapped back and installed vista again, ran fine for 2 nights then the error came back.

I then started to have problems posting the pc, getting a continuous beep until I removed 1 stick of RAM, I then swapped the modules to check if the other was dead but it also posted fine.

One thing that did happen when i ran both modules together again was that after getting a continuous beep and resetting, the pc posted but i noticed on the post screen the memory had been set to 800mhz, 4,4,4,12,1T and it booted fine. but still errors in windows. After coming to the forums here I read a post by you advising 2.1v, 4,4,4,12,2T 800mhz settings for this memory on this board and after applying these settings the system is rock solid, no errors whatsoever for 5 days now.

During this time I ran memtest and recieved no errors, swapped from the yellow slots to the black slots on the board, I am now in the black slots. I am running the latest bios and drivers also.

My questions are these:

Why did it work fine for the first few months and then go to pot?

Do you know of any settings I can use for this combination to get my RAM to run at its specified settings?

Can you reccommend me a MOBO that is futureproof for quad core 1333mhz that you can guarantee this memory will work at its specified settings in, preferably an Asus board?

sorry for the lengthy post, wanted to include all the info and thanks for taking the time to look at my problem

• Corsair Employees

Its hard to say why it worked for a few months and then started to do strange things after the addition of the sound card. However, what you have posted might also suggest a power problem as well. And I am sorry I cannot suggest one MB maker over another but right now I would go with a P35 Intel chipset or the P38 that coming soon if you are planning to upgrade. But that might change in a month or two so I would keep an eye out on the review sites as well for anything that is new.

And how many modules are you using in that system?

only using the 2 modules, and they are surely drawing only 0.1v less than before but are rock solid.

The psu did cross my mind however i didnt imagine the graphics card to be drawing that much power just flicking round windows, the problem seemed to arise mostly at the start when I was opening a video file, or viewing a picture rich webpage, then going on to appear in the welcome screen and not booting at all.

I think tomorrow im going to try running the 8800 from a seperate power supply, the gf's pc has the same psu as mine but isnt using the pci-e power connectors so I will put them next to each other and see how it goes, Im a bit reluctant to spend so much cash on a new quality psu on the off chance

• Corsair Employees
There is less loading on the memory controller with 2 modules than there is with 4 modules and yes the power consumption is half as much about 23 Watts for two modules and 46 Watts for 4.

I have never run 4 modules, I only have the set ive described above which is 2x1gb modules, so my power consumption hasnt changed from the day i built the system, if anything it has dropped as I no longer have webcam, ipod and mp3 mixing desk plugged into the usb on this machine, and they were all removed at the first sign of a problem.

I dont understand it, if you google for nvlddmkm.sys error on vista or the nv4disp infinite loop on xp, there are many people in the same position as me, and it seems they all have a near identical setup as me, and it appears it is caused by the memory and graphics card combination on an nvidia chipset, solutions given are always to underclock the graphics card or underclock the memory, its not really acceptable when you pay the premium price for such components, wether it be the fault of the card, the ram or the mobo. Its a shame as I could of saved a few quid by buying the 800mhz sticks in the first place.

originally i upped the voltage at the 1066 settings to 2.3v, it made no difference and thats when it started to not post and after a few resets it adjusted itself to the 800mhz settings and i was able to enter the bios, but the bios had retained the voltage of 2.3, so came on here and read about the 2.1v setting and adjusted it accordingly, thats when i stopped having problems although it was booting every time at 2.3v still but i was worried about overvolting even tho the ram is rated at 2.2-2.5v

oh really, on the overclockers.co.uk site the ram is stated to be 2.2-2.5v, interesting, so i could of fried my ram because of them, do you think it could be damaged from running it at 2.259v for so long? if it was damaged from overvolting would it still work at the settings im using at the moment, i.e. 4,4,4,12,2T 800mhz 2.179v, i am unable to set the voltage at dead on settings of 2.1 or 2.2 etc, it doesnt give me that option

• 4 months later...
bios rev 0703 for the p5n-e sli that was released in august fixed the problem for me, just slapped my sticks in the YELLOW slots and set sli ready memory option to expert, filled in the timings as 5-5-5-15-2T, unlinked the memory from the cpu and slapped it back to 1066, mem voltage at 2.179vand boots every time, no problem, no glitches in windows

Archived