Corsair Community

Corsair XMS Platinum Series 784MB, version question

shadyboy08

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some help. I have 3 sticks of 256MB Corsair XMS platinum series ram in my pc, totaling 784MBram. Two of those sticks came in a twin pack (2 256MB ram sticks), and the other stick came in a separate twin pack as well but I gave 1 256MB ram stick to my brother's PC and I kept the other one. That's why I have 784ram instead of 1024MB (plus I only have 3 sockets on my motherboard :P).

They're all the same type of ram and everything but there is only one difference. They're all Corsair XMS platinum series ram, all have CMX256A-3200C2PT written on them, but the one stick that I kept while giving the other stick to my brother states that it is XMS3202v1.2. In my PC, I have 2 sticks that state XMS3202v1.6 while the other one states XMS3203v1.2. Is that a problem in any way, or can I continue to use 768MB of ram? It seems like they're different versions of the same model.

I've read other similar threads for people that had a lot of ram, and the general advice is not to mix them, but I was curious if it is ok in my case since I have less ram. I ran a Memtest for about 30 minutes and didn't notice a problem.

Thanks for the help. I don't know too much about pc hardware.

The default settings in my bios are 2.5-3-3-8 with 2.6 volts. Is 2.5-3-3-7 faster or slower? I'd assume it's slower for more stability with mixed ram

Also, what's the positives/negatives of changing volts form 2.6 volts to 2.8?

They are the settings for DDR333, if like I said the system is stable I would leave it alone.

thanks. I don't know if it's a good idea to run at those speeds since I'm actually running my cpu at 200mhz, not 166mhz. I keep my ram speeds at optimal and it set it at 200mhz automatically as well.

There have been a few times when my games would crash while playing. I've taken the v1.2 ram out temporarily for a few days, just to check if the game crashing disappears.

Archived