Corsair Community

Headache D975XBX2 w/ TWIN2X2048-6400

RLG

I built a machine December '06. (Intel D975VBX2, Sonata II, WD Sata 300 Drive, Corasair TWIN2X2048-6400, Sony DVDRW, BFG NVideia 7950GT.) I am not overclocking anything. It worked fine until a few weeks ago when it abruptly stopped runnign reliably. I occasionally saw a memory related error then it stopped posting. No video at all. I have an almost exactly similar machine I built in January. I swapped video and proved it was not the video. I swapped ANTEC Sonata II cases and proved it is not the case. From this forum I am suspecting the memory is bad or set incorrectly / sub optimally. By removing and replacing the memory I got it to POST once. The Reseller lists the specs as 5-5-5-12 1.9V. The INTEL BIOS automatcially set it as 800MHZ 5 5 5 +RASmin 18 1.84V. I tried to reset Voltage manually to 1.96 and now it will not post again. So, my question is what do I do to get it to act stable again. And if I am to add more memory to this machine or buy memory for my new machine which Corsair modules should I be buying and what should thier settings be.

This machine with default settings ran for months just fine. No change was made except XP Media Center updates. My best guess is the memory is bad not being able to handle the slight increase in temp from summer. The Intel desktop monitors show all temps and voltages as fine on the rare occasions when I can get it to boot. I am building another machine and will probably not buy Corsair memory unless we can get this figured out as it seems that there is a dearth of information on the Intel site about Corsair and on the Corsair site about Intel Mobos. Please help me figure this out.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 4 weeks later...

I was away for a while so could not get back to this. The past two days I took the Corsair memory out and tested Mushkin memory. No problems with the new memory. I updated the Mobo BIOS as you requested. I replaced the Mushkin with the Corsair. Microsoft Memory test failed MATS INVC LRAND and froze in Stride6 with both modules in running at the Intel auto memory setting of 5,5,5,18 1.84 V. I removed one module. The other ran the test fine at 1,84 v. I replaced the module with the second Corsair. Would not post. I replaced with first module and reset mem to 2.0 V. Ran MS Memtest fine. I replaced with second module and ran MATS, INVC, LRAND fine and froze memtest in Stride6. Replaced Corsair with Mushkin and reset BIOS to automatic and all is fine. I think it is clear that one string of memory is dead. I will proceed to the RMA department. Thanks for your help.

PS - When the memory worked it worked fine on the Intel Mobo auto set at 1.84V.

• Corsair Employees

the Voltage should be set to 1.9X Volts with these modules but I don't have a problem replacing the modules if you like.

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived