Corsair Community

Aw9d max (i975x) and 4 x 1024MB Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 modules

With two modules I am able to run at 4-4-4-12 as suggested on the modules, with 2.1V Vram. But what are the optimal settings for using 4 modules? they are of the same week and year in the making (reading from CPU-z). But when I try to run the 4-4-4-12 setting I get memory errors rather quickly (which is not that surprising). So my question is, what are the optimal settings for maximum performance with these four modules in the AW9D Max?

I know you can increase the northbridge voltage to get it running on those low timings, but I rather not do that yet. As I want to be sure the system is working without faults before I start tinkering.

Thank you, I will check up that thread.

But what I am after is basically what are the best timings to gain the best performance/stability ratio at stock speeds.

Overclocking comes much later, when I have run these modules for a while and done enough memtest passes to be satisfied.

Well, the modules are rated at 800 mhz @ 4-4-4-12-2T & 2.1 volts. But honestly, dont waste your time, they are kinda slow when their like this. But just my opinion. BTW im no expert just talking from experience with these modules with my computer. You may have a totally different deal going on with 4 gigs and what not.

Well, the modules are rated at 800 mhz @ 4-4-4-12-2T & 2.1 volts. But honestly, dont waste your time, they are kinda slow when their like this. But just my opinion. BTW im no expert just talking from experience with these modules with my computer. You may have a totally different deal going on with 4 gigs and what not.

I am currently running them at 4-4-4-12-42 (last is Bank recycle time, needed to raise that from 35 to 42 with 4 modules).

Yes, I find their performance a little below what I would like to have. But well, that can be solved by overclocking. Just need to be satisfied that they are stable at stock speed before I start overclocking. :D:

I got sidetracked by running memtest, so I have not yet read the thread as suggested. Will do that, and see where overclocking can take me.

ya, hopefully your board will do what you want. I did my homework and found the board I wanted for OC'ing. My previous board was a POS for OC'ing. I couldnt be happier, I can OC everything untill it gets to hot, but if you have a good case or cooling I wouldnt worry bout it :biggrin:

Im not even sure if this post makes sense haha

ya, hopefully your board will do what you want. I did my homework and found the board I wanted for OC'ing. My previous board was a POS for OC'ing. I couldnt be happier, I can OC everything untill it gets to hot, but if you have a good case or cooling I wouldnt worry bout it :biggrin:

Im not even sure if this post makes sense haha

Well, I wanted a nForce680i board, but at the time when I bought this rig, those had so many problems that I had little other choice than to go with a i975x one. And well, it aint too bad. It does what I need it to do. But still wish I had a nForce680i board. I have used nForce boards since the first nForce was relased, and have always loved the boards I have used that was based on nvidias chipsets (except 2 from MSI).

I can get my Core 2 Duo up to 3.3 Ghz without raising Vcore. And that is pretty decent for me. I am not a great fan of increasing CPU voltage, since that brings the whole up to a new level of cooling requirements just to get it to run slightly faster.

When the rig begins to feel a bit slow, of course, things will change greatly. Then I will use whatever measures are availble to keep it going until I build a new rig.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when you overclock more then just a few percent, it actualy runs hotter if you dont raise the voltage. But then again, im no expert, you might want to read a couple OC'ing guides. But i think thats what happens. And heck, if you have a good cpu fan / case i wouldnt worry bout the heat, unless your cpu is getting way to hot. But you might have other issues if thats the situation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when you overclock more then just a few percent, it actualy runs hotter if you dont raise the voltage. But then again, im no expert, you might want to read a couple OC'ing guides. But i think thats what happens. And heck, if you have a good cpu fan / case i wouldnt worry bout the heat, unless your cpu is getting way to hot. But you might have other issues if thats the situation.

No, it does not get hotter because you do not raise the Vcore. But it is more likely to result in computational errors. That is why you have to test it rigorusly. Overvolting the cpu is a way to compensate for errors. But overvolting is what actually makes a CPU run hotter, and may kill it faster due to several reasons (electromigration being one that is not likely to occur within a cpus usable lifespan, but it can actually occur rather fast as well).

But there is also a point to what you say. There is a point when it will run hotter since it has to draw more amphere due to low voltage, and raising the voltage will make it run cooler. But that is not just a few percent overclocking, that is a rather extreme overclock. Usually beyond what you can do on air. And by that time, most overclocking enthusiasts have modded their board and cooling extensively (check out xtremesystems and the forum users there), just to allow it perform at those levels.

I have killed electronics by overvolting (within reasonable levels), but luckily, so far not in my PCs, and I intend to keep it that way.

I have a decent heatsink (heatpipe tower actually), but there is a point above I rather not run a CPU in temperature, and to cool it to that level (below 60C at full load) it requires increased airflow which produce a lot of noise. And I prefer a quiet computer as well. So it is a tradeoff.

LOL, I see now that in my signature is a very old system of mine. It has been some time since I last visited these forums :)

UPDATE: So, updated my signature to show my main rig instead.

• 4 weeks later...

did you manage to overclock your both kits ?

I'm currently running my two kits at 437MHz/DDR874, 4-4-4-15 2T, rest of the timings are on AUTO, except one..don't remember what it said...SPD indicated value 42, so I set it 42 :) manual default setting was 0...

No real need oc them higher, cpu is now 3,5GHz with pretty low volt and temp. At 8x450 (with one kit) or 9x400 etc, 3,6GHz starts wanting vcore and temp raises quickly...but I might test their max someday when it's raining ;) 5-5-5-18 something...DDR925 ??

I set memtest86+ v1.70 running before I went to bed.

7x475, DDR950 passed 7,5 hours(or was it 8,5hrs?), finished 13 passes without errors. Had open case with kitchen fan blowing inside.

4x1GB 6400C4 v2.1, timings 5-5-5-18 2T, 2.1vdimm.

FSB +0.1v

(G)MCH +0.1v

edit //

I also tested 8x438, DDR876 with 4-4-4-15 2T, 2.1vdimm, +9 hours error free in memtest86+ during work.

Currently testing 9x400, DDR800 with 2.0vdimm, 4-4-4-12 2T, 30mins Prime95 stable.

gee...when can I stop overclocking these 4 sticks? Each day I get higher clocks..never had to clear cmos yet, coz I do baby-steps.

Yesterday:

475MHz/DDR950, 5-5-5-18 2T was memtest86+ stable 9 hours, also Prime95 stable 8 hours, played games all nite, rig was 100% ok.

Today:

483MHz/DDR966, 5-5-5-18 2T was memtest86+ stable 4-5hours, did a quick 12min Prime95 test to get screenshot.

I'm down to multiplier 7 now ! (from x9 which is E6850 max) 7x500 would be great, keeping cpu at cool 3,5GHz/1.23v@load and mem at absolute max :)

EDIT ///

491 MHz @ 5-5-5-18 2T and 2,1v !

Memtest86+ 30min on tests 5 and 8, dual Prime95 quick 34min....

have to open another beer and reboot with 7x500...this is it...800->1000MHz, WITH 4 STICKS, non-quad kit, but two separate dual kits....if it works I lift hat to Intel, P35 chipset guys and ofcourse Corsair !

count on screenies if it's done !

..btw..all these test are "worthless"....practically I still could get BSOD while gaming, if I'm near max limits. I saw vdimm is just over 2.06v at points...guess those could cause BSODs at 500MHz. np, plenty cold beers in fridge, I'm feeling lucky !

EDIT // tested 7x500...no go (memtest: 5 passes on #5(15 min), and 15 min on #8, np...30mins)

rig locks up after 1min of prime95

tested FSB +0,2v + MCH +0,2v, tested with 5-5-5-19

added vdimm, 2.2v, no go

so my max is near above 491mhz

5-5-5-18_483MHz_4x1GB.thumb.jpg.ee33bca89340dc2c6be6bab7949fc206.jpg

491MHz.thumb.jpg.281cbf868219a1ea6bbdb143512ae3b2.jpg

no, 7x500 was not possible today.

memtest showed "OK" after 15 mins #5 and same for #8

but Prime95 dual froze rig after 1minute...no change if I set 5-5-5-19, or +,2v for both FSB and MCH

I even tested 2.2vdimm..nada

1.325vcore...tested before at same MHz, but not at this high FSB...more test tomorrow (inc vcore)

Archived