Corsair Community

16GB Voyager Speed Issues?

fdecker

I just bought a 16GB Voyager (blue & black). I've formatted the drive NTFS. I've run HD Bench and here are the results:

Read-25793

Write-7481

Here's the interesting thing...I ran HD Test on my $20 Lexar jump drive (1GB) and got these results:

Read-8417

Write-7628

So, it appears as if either my Voyager is not operating correctly or that the advertised speed and/or implied "faster than the mainstream" is bogus. So which is it?

• Corsair Employees
That is about normal for that drive, the read speed is where it should be maybe a bit low on the write speed, but it could be anything even the system or software causing that, but its still in spec.

So, my drive is within spec. Am I the only one who is more than a little bothered with that? How is "...faster than the mainstream" applicable when my cheap-o Lexar 1GB has a faster write speed? Boy, it just really gets to me when companies advertise one thing and deliver another.

In order to make a 16GB flash drive in the FV form factor there is only one solution available, MLC NAND flash. Because of the architecture write speeds are slow. The GT series of drives have much higher write speeds (20 and higher), they use SLC. But you cant make a 16GB drive in the FV form factor with SLC NAND flash. If speed is an issue for you, I would suggest the 8GB GT drive.

Thank you for the response, but I'm well aware of the differences between MLC/SLC. The point I was trying to make is that if a company is going to advertise that their Voyager Flash is "faster than the mainstream" then they should back that up. If not, then don't make the claim. It's a pretty simple concept.

I ran HD Test on my $20 Lexar jump drive (1GB) and got these results:

[...]

How is "...faster than the mainstream" applicable when my cheap-o Lexar 1GB has a faster write speed?

Here in Germany the 1GB Voyager stick costs about the same $20, as you paid for the Lexar 1GB.

Also, very few manufacturers of USB sticks actually specify the speed of their product to the public. Mostly dealers advertise speed numbers which are sometimes plain wrong, or can be reached only under very special conditions but not in real world applications.

In my experience playing with flash sticks/cards from different manufacturers, especially the write speed is highly sensitive upon the usage pattern (block sizes & sequence), and the fastest pattern is not the same for different hardware models und memory sizes.

• Corsair Employees
All of the manufacturers have moved to MLC on their main stream drives to compete, and to provide new features like up to 16 Gig. If you want the fastest flash drive you get you should get our GT version. However, if you compare the drives this is good but you need to consider the date of manufacture if you compare our older drive say made last year with who ever I think you will see our performance is above average. Comparing new drives from us and from other makes should be close to the same.

Archived