Corsair Community

Twin2x2048-6400c4 Issue

I have been trying to resolve this problem for three days, with no resolve

Im running the xms twin2x2048-6400C4 ram in my Asus p5b-deluxe mobo.

Currently running my E6400 at 3.2 ghz, (400mhz fsb) thus 1:1 ratio for the memory.

Ive tried several different mem timings, included what is recommended on here, yet i get errors in memtest every single time. Granted the overclock is orthos stable for 7 hours.

If I only use one stick of mem, I dont trigger any memtest errors.

When using both, I get mem test errors. Ive tried using SPD to set timings and I still have memtest errors. I am at a loss here as to what else to try.

I should be able to run them at 800 mhz with no problem, yet I cant.

A

Thanks for the quick response, Ive tried volt settings from 1.9 to 2.25, eventually they all trigger an error in memtest when using two sticks of mem. Individually they pass memtest.

Right now Ive set back the timings to 5-5-5-15 to see if that will pass memtest.

But im giving up performance.

The mobo is almost a year old, will be one year old in august.

I am running the most current bios, that is not beta.

I got it stable at the following timings - 5-5-5-12-5-42-3-11-5-4

Its memtest86 stable (3 hours) and orthos stable (6 hours ).

It does bother me that the memory wont run at its advertised timings though.

Its currently running at 800 mhz. It should be able to run 4-4-4-12. Any suggestions.

I am almost to the point, that I might buy new memory.

It sounds like the ram is either failing or too hot. Giving the ram 2.1v can make the DIMMs quite warm. The way to test for this is to...

1) run memtest -- if errors do not show up until the 2nd or 3rd pass then heat could be an issue.

2) put a fan blowing air directly onto the ram -- if memtest runs error free then heat is definitely the problem.

If your ram is failing, it's only a matter of time before errors start occuring at CL 5-5-5-12.

Hmm good observations.

The last couple times I played with the timings to find the current timings, the errors in memtest would not show up until the third pass.

I do have a Dominator Fan coming this week from new egg, maybe I will try 4-4-4-12 with it on.

Right now at the 5-5-5-12 settings I am running, I am at 1.9 volts with no errors in memtest.

I do recall though that running 4-4-4-12, gave me memtest errors with in 5 minutes of running memtest. So I dont think heat is the issue.

Any other suggestions, I will try the tigher timings with the fan in place and report back. To be honest, running at the looser timings has not really affected over all performance of the system. But it drives me nuts, knowing they should run at 4-4-4-12. I wont make any more judgements until the cooler gets here, then i will run 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 volts and see what happens.

• Corsair Employees
To make sure its not the MB holding you back, please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts and Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and set the tested settings set manually and then test the modules again with out over clocking the CPU! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure! But with this MB you have to disable legacy USB when running any memory test.

Ram guy, I have the latest Bios on the motherboard.

I have run the optimized settings for this memory, if I am not mistaken, taken directly from a post of yours, with both 2.0 and 2.1 volts, and using the 15 setting for Write to precharge delay. I dont recall if I have tried it with out OC the cpu, so let me try that today. I do have legacy usb disabled.

Like i said above, running at 5-5-5-12 with the the CPU OC'd does get me memtest stable for 3 hours.

I will try your suggestion later today and report back.

So basically set the optimized settings for the mem, and run them with out any CPU or FSB overclock.

Testing one at a time with the optimized timings triggers no errors in Memtest.

I will try both of them later tommorow, I should have my Corsair Dominator fan as well tommorow, but I will rule out heat by doing what you said first.

Well I was putting on the dominator fans on the wrong way, but I got them to work. So then I took it off for the next test.

I proceeded to test what ram guy suggested.

Set the optimized settings for the RAM, 2.0 volts, timings of 4-4-4-12-5

and precharge to 15 (everything else to default). Disabled legacy usb.

Did not boost the FSB. Ran for two hours with no errors in memtest.

Then I set the settings for my OC, 400 mhz, vcore and nb and sb. (granted these settings get me 7 hours stable in orthos, only errors generated are in memtest)

With in 10 minutes I had errors in memtest. So I then decided to put the Dominator fans on there, tested and still got errors. Then I boosted the voltage to 2.1, still errors.

I then ran each stick individually at the OC, and got no errors.

So now the question is, whats going on? We know its not a heat issue now.

I set my timings back to 5-5-5-12-5-42-3-11-5-14, and it works fine.

Ramguy you mentioned it might be my MOBO holding me back, but then I shouldn't be able to run any timings at that speed *800mhz* or am I incorrect? I need to be educated on this. I have an Asus p5b-deluxe which i thought was a decent Overclocking board.

To be honest, what kind of performance hit am I taking with the above mentioned timings. I dont seem to notice any difference.

• Corsair Employees
That suggests its the over clock, if the system will pass with the CPU at Default. And there is more loading on the memory controller when in D/C the fact they run one up at those settings but not in D/C would suggest you need to lower the O.C. try it at 380 Mhz.

That suggests its the over clock, if the system will pass with the CPU at Default. And there is more loading on the memory controller when in D/C the fact they run one up at those settings but not in D/C would suggest you need to lower the O.C. try it at 380 Mhz.

Like he said...

Memtest errors can also be an indicator of an unstable overclock.

I have decided to just leave the 5-5-5-12 settings for now. Everything works fine and the system is stable.

Ive tried multiple combinations of multipliers and voltages, yet i still get errors in memtest. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Thanks, I actually have the Tras at 14 and it works fine.

I appreciate the realtime tech support offered here. I wish more companies assisted in this same manner. For now, since the system is 100% stable, I will concentrate my efforts on my upcoming water cooling project.

Thanks once again. Mark099 this applies to you too!!! :):

Well I think Mark hit it write on the nail with his earlier prediction.

I have been getting errors starting programs now, where they wont initiate. Error message's refer to certain memory locations. I havent run memtest again, but I have a feeling now even with my loose timings, I am going to get errors.

APpears the memory is slowly failing.

Archived