Corsair Community

P5K Deluxe and PC8500C5 v1.3 PROBLEMS

Exalix

I recently purchased a P5K Deluxe motherboard. Coming from a P5B Deluxe...

I have a pair of Corsair PC8500C5 v1.3 ( CMX1024-8500C5 ), and I have a pair of Corsair PC6400C4 on loan from a friend.

When I installed the P5K for the first time I plugged in the 8500C5 ram, the board did NOT start up at all. First I thought it was the board that was faulty. I then plugged in the PC6400C4, and the P5K starts up just fine. After F1 and Save and Exit in bios, the board can start up with NO problems with the PC8500C5 sticks.

But just until I overclock the board wrongly, and the board has to make an auto recovery, the board will not start up with the PC8500C5. I have to put the PC6400C4 back in make it a life again.

Ive tried with the bios version that the board was born with, 0202, and upgraded to 0501 from a usb flash memory immediately after I managed to give life to the board with the PC6400C4.

Can someone please tell me what is going on here?

The Corsair CMX1024-PC8500C5 are on the asus qualified PC8500 memory list.

I recently purchased a P5K Deluxe motherboard. Coming from a P5B Deluxe...

I have a pair of Corsair PC8500C5 v1.3 ( CMX1024-8500C5 ), and I have a pair of Corsair PC6400C4 on loan from a friend.

When I installed the P5K for the first time I plugged in the 8500C5 ram, the board did NOT start up at all. First I thought it was the board that was faulty. I then plugged in the PC6400C4, and the P5K starts up just fine. After F1 and Save and Exit in bios, the board can start up with NO problems with the PC8500C5 sticks.

But just until I overclock the board wrongly, and the board has to make an auto recovery, the board will not start up with the PC8500C5. I have to put the PC6400C4 back in make it a life again.

Ive tried with the bios version that the board was born with, 0202, and upgraded to 0501 from a usb flash memory immediately after I managed to give life to the board with the PC6400C4.

Can someone please tell me what is going on here?

The Corsair CMX1024-PC8500C5 are on the asus qualified PC8500 memory list.

The same has been posted on XS

• Corsair Employees

First thing, when ever you change hardware, you should load setup defaults and then set the suggested settings, and in some cases you might have to manually reset the BIOS when you make a change so the system can see the new memory.

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

First thing, when ever you change hardware, you should load setup defaults and then set the suggested settings, and in some cases you might have to manually reset the BIOS when you make a change so the system can see the new memory.

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please tell me how I should me able to set the dimm voltage, if I didn't have my friends 6400C4 modules on loan. The P5K does not start up with these modules the very very first the motherboard starts up ( in fail safe mode/recovery mode ), or when something went a little out of hand with overclocking ( like tweaking the memory timings etc ), and therefor have to restart in fail safe mode, to recover it self.

Welll, now I DO have some 6400C4 modules that my PK5 starts up fine with in fail safe mode. It's then possible to save bios with memory set to 2.2v and with the correct timings. With that done, I put back the PC8500C5 modules and everything runs fine, but just until the board can't handle a specific setting during my tweaking process of this board. It kind of limits the tweaking process, when I have to put back in PC6400 modules everytime.

Please read ALL my posts.

Do you really think I don't know where the Jumperfree section is and how to use it? Give me break please!

If I did not have the PC6400C4 modules on loan, I would NOT have been able to boot up the motherboard in its safe mode or recovery mode, or "the very first time start up mode" and access the bios with the PC8500C5 modules AT ALL! How can I explain this more clearly!?! The P5K Deluxe motherboard does not boot with my PC8500C5 modules in safe mode, recovery mode, "the very first time the board starts"/"the very first time the board get plugged to a PSU and started up". Only when I stick in the PC6400C4 modules it can start up in this, hard to understand "mode". With these I can boot up and save bios. After bios is saved, I'm first THEN able to boot up with my OWN PC8500C5, mark my words, "AFTER THE BIOS HAS BEEN SAVED".

If you still do not understand my problem, then try think of my friends PC6400 modules as a pair of "BOOT UP" modules. With these I can save bios, that means I can set the right voltage etc. After bios has been saved, the P5K accepts the my PC8500C5 just fine. If I didn't have my friends PC6400 modules on loan, I would have thought that it was my P5K Deluxe Motherboard that is defect, because with the PC8500 modules, the board seems totally dead. You got the point now? I'm not able to do anything with the bios with my PC8500C5 when the board has started up from failsafe mode ( F1 to enter bios ), so, I'm not able to set the correct voltage either. First when I plug in the PC6400C4.

:bigeyes:

The settings are in the BIOS under frequency and Voltage control, but I think ASUS calls it Jumper Free, check in your manual in section 4.
:bigeyes:

• Corsair Employees

If you install the 8500 Modules and then reset the BIOS with the CLRTC jumper will it POST?

If not, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I have tried everything! So you are saying its the modules that are faulty, and that P5K Deluxe should accept them without any problems? If so, I will RMA them through my dealer...

If you install the 8500 Modules and then reset the BIOS with the CLRTC jumper will it POST?

If not, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• Corsair Employees

How did you get that from what I said?

It was a few questions in trying to help you isolate the problem!

However, I have no problem replacing the modules if you like!

How did you get that from what I said?

It was a few questions in trying to help you isolate the problem!

However, I have no problem replacing the modules if you like!

Normally when replacing something, it first have to be faulty, and yes, I tried everything, and that also covers the clrtc jumper.

Just one last question: P5K Deluxe normally accepts these modules right, when P5K Deluxe is being started the very first time ( fail safe mode ) or after a clrtc jumper reset? Twin2x2048-8500C5 v1.3

Archived