Corsair Community

P5N-E SLI + Twin2x2048-6400C4

banelos

I recently bought this combination of MB and Ram and have been having some problems with it.

Originally when installing all the parts I bought I had set the 2 ram blocks in slot 1 and 2, so they were in single channel. Everything was working fine, but later when I realized this really just made them run at half speed I tried setting then in slot1 and slot3 in the MB so they would run in Dual Channel.

What happened though is that the PC would hardly start and if I succeeded in getting into Windows I quickly got a BSoD. In order to confirm that it wasn't just one of the ram blocks which were faulty I put them back in single channel, ran a memtest from the Vista bootloader, switched slots for the 2 blocks of ram and ran it again. No errors, so I'm kinda at a loss with what can be wrong here.

The Danish online shop I bought most of the pieces from refuses to answer technical questions, so before I can get on with solving this I really need to know if it can still be the ram, if its the motherboard or whatever else it can be. Or just other ways to test out so I can tell which of the parts are faulty.

Your Memory Configurator suggests the very ram I bought for my MB so I can't imagine them being incompatible.

Also in CPU-Z it says my ram runs at 5-5-5-18 TRC=1 2T

I read the ram I got should be at 4-4-4-12 but how do I set this and what about TRC and Command Rate?

Any help is appreciated greatly.

EDIT: I just did a bios update from rev 0307 to the newest (0608) and then did some testing.

Single Channel: With the 2 ram blocks in slot1 and slot2 memtest86 ran without errors for 10+ mins.. I swapped the 2 blocks' slots with the same result.

Dual Channel: I first tried with the ram blocks in slot1 and slot3 and that gave instant errors+freeze in memtest86. Then I tried with the blocks in slot 2 and 4 and the result were the same nearly instant bunch of errors when starting memtest86.

So does this point to it being the ram that are faulty?

Single channel mode is less stressfull to the ram. The fact that both DIMMs run error free in single channel mode is a good sign.

In all likelihood, you just need to increase the ram voltage in the BIOS. You may need as much as 2.1v to run at 4-4-4-12.

Thanks man setting timers and the volt for ram in Bios worked wonders. 20+ mins in memtest without any errors and ram set in Dual Channel.

I wonder why the motherboard defaults to timings that makes it impossible to run them in Dual Channel.

Perhaps there should be something along with the ram's packaging to show exactly how and what the timings and ram voltage should be set to in the Bios, would ease off a lot of repeated questions on this forum I think.

Anyway thanks for the help guys, nice forum and impressive response time for sure.

Archived