Corsair Community

Computer Unstable

I have 2 gigs of Corsair XMS2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400, for reference

Up to now, everything has been fine. However, 2 days ago, I was attempting to install Windows Vista but my computer would keep crashing at the end of the install. The BSOD was telling me I was having hardware errors, which I confirmed by formatting my hard drive. I thought one of my dimms had died, but when I put each in my comp individually, everything would post normally. So I switched the placement of my dimms from before, and I was able to install Vista successfully after that.

However, I have now been experiencing system crashes periodically within Vista. I will be using programs, and I will suddenly get a BSOD. I ran Memtest for 12 hours and I got an error. I don't know if it helps, but I can give you the details.

Failing Address: 0005ef70908- 1519.0 mb

Good: ffcf0f42

Bad: ffdf0f42

err-bits: 00100000

count: 1

Do you think this memory error could be the source of my instability? Can I get my memory RMAed? Thanks for your help!

Peter

You should run memtest to test for memory defects.

Also, Vista appears to be able to detect issues that you wouldn't think were there -- especially during the installation.

You may want to try increasing the ram voltage to 1.9v in the BIOS and see if that helps.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

I might, but I bought them to operate at 800 Mhz. Thats what they were built to do.

Despite the claim to the contrary, only a handfull of AM2 boards will support 800Mhz DDR2 @ 4-4-4-12. PC2-6400 is better suited to Intel chipsets. I think it's a waste of money to buy anything more than ValueSelect 667Mhz DDR2 for a socket AM2 setup.

Well, I have been using my ram at 5-5-5-12-2T at 800 Mhz. And until 4 days ago, had performed flawlessly.

Despite the claim to the contrary, only a handfull of AM2 boards will support 800Mhz DDR2 @ 4-4-4-12. PC2-6400 is better suited to Intel chipsets. I think it's a waste of money to buy anything more than ValueSelect 667Mhz DDR2 for a socket AM2 setup.

I am using 2 modules of 1 gig each for a total of 2 gigs. I am testing each individually like you suggested. The first threw a couple errors. I'm waiting to see if the second does the same.

Question for you Ram Guy. If the second comes out clean, and it is clear the errors are from the first module, can I take it to Fremont to get it replaced? I am pretty near the area and it seems easier than mailing it such a short distance. I know I would have to get an RMA confirmation seperately. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry I cannot answer that question, but if you find you do have a failing module please call our customer service and see what they can do to help you.

888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0".

I am sorry I cannot answer that question, but if you find you do have a failing module please call our customer service and see what they can do to help you.

888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0".

Yep, it seems it was only that first module. I didn't get any errors in 10 passes in memtest on the second stick. So I will be calling the number you gave me. Thanks so much for your help!

Archived