Corsair Community

Twinx1024-4000Pro + P4C800-E Dlx + Asus Radeon 9800Pro 256/TVD Video/DCom Errors!?

OzZ1337

I posted something very similar on the Asus forum as well, i'm not sure if this is a video or a Ram problem. It seems like a Video problem sometimes, but more like a memory issue at others... Here it goes: Anyone had this problem or heard about it? My compute runs perfect, I don't overclock and use just about all default values in the bios "For testing purposes right now". Every so often when I reboot or start my computer after it loads the main WinXP Pro Logo page and boots into the GUI where I can put in my Username/Password, the screen will have lines through it and things will be blocky. I usually can still operate, but sometiems it reboots on me. Usually when it reboots or when I restart it it may work perfect or do it again. Also my Norton Antivirus sometimes will stay Disabled and it will give me a DCom database is locked error of some sort so Autoprotection can't load. Then I could reboot and everything may work pefect again for a while. It's quite odd..and extremely annoying. Here is a listing of all my specs/issues and posts from my Asus Trouble ticket to give some help: Problem Information: Problem Subject:Asus Radeon9800 Pro 256/Asus P4C800-E Deluxe VIdeo Problem Description: I have several video problems. When my computer boots up the graphics are always fine in DOS/BIOS/POST/etc... even at the first main Windows XP logo that comes up and has the little continuously scrolling status bar. Every so often when I boot into windows, right when it actually loads into the GUI and prompts me for username/password, it will have lines through the screen and it will look blocky, and basically the video will just look like crap. Usually the screen will go black after a minute and the computer will reboot. Also when things are working normally, I'll try to go into certain games, specifically Half Life: Counter Strike "Latest 1.6 revision for STEAM" and it won't let me use Direct3d or OpenGL, BUT! Sometimes it will??? It will kick me out if I select the mode and say "This mode is not supported by your video card" and then it tells me that it can only play it in Software mode. Sometimes it will let me use these modes though? Also a lot of the times it will let me use Direct3d, but I can't raise the resolution more than 800x600 or it will kick me out with the same error... can't support this mode. Last night I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004 flaulesly for an hour or more and then it froze and kicked me out with a VGART or some type of error and said that the Video Card stopped communicating or responding to the Video Drivers and it reset some settings or something. But then basically I couldn't play the game again after that. This graphics card and/or Mother Board seems to be causing me a lot of problems... This is all brand new as of 1/21/04 [2/20/2004 10:04:00 AM - ] 02-20-04: Update: I completely uninstalled anything to do with ASUS Graphics and/or ATI. I hard rebooted and then reinstalled the latest Intel Driver INF Update Utility 5.1.1.1002. I then hard rebooted again and installed the latest Asus ATI series all in one driver version 7.97 for Win2K and WinXP. SO FAR, everything seems to be working fine, My OpenGL and Direct3d seem to be running flawlessly with no weird problems and I haven't had any reboots with the weird lines going through the screen. I'm going to give it a few more days and perhaps a few more torture tests, but so far Thank You Aaron, I believe you may of fixed my problem!!! [2/23/2004 3:24:00 PM - ] I still have the problem, it still comes up every so often and has lines through the screen. Also I have weird problems with my DCom database being locked after these lines appear and I have to reboot. I know of this because my Norton Antivirus Autoprotect stays disabled and I can't disable it. Sometimes I can reboot and it will fix the problem and sometimes I have to reboot several times for it to stop doing it. This is getting real annoying. I've ran the latest Memtest86 for hours and hours over night Standard, Full, and Extended. I've ran Prime95 for hours. Everything seems to check out clear for the RAM at least. I've ran other diagnostics through a friend like Microscope Diagnostics and it really hasn't found any problems. I have the latest drivers and the latest Bios 1015 now. Though all my games run perfectly now. I still have some weird problems... Please Help!!! PC Specs: P4 - 3.2ghz, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Twinx1024-4000Pro, Asus Radeon 9800 Pro 256/TVD, Antec True 550 Power Supply, SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum, 36gb Western Digital WD360GD 10,000RPM SATA150 HD, 250gb Maxtor 7Y250M0 7400RPM SATA150 HD, SONY 16X DDU1612/B2 DVD, PLEXTOR PX-708A/SW-BL DVD+/-RW. I also have the latest drivers for everything... Anyhelp?

Consider this! Disconnect both optical readers (power & data cables). Remove the sound card. Disable on-board sound. Disable Legacy USB. Install one ram module in slot 1. Test with Memtest86. Test second module. Ensure that the ram is set to rated timings and set vdimm to 2.75v. Good Luck

Believe me, it's all set to proper timings and I have it set at standard voltage, but i've tried 2.75. I just changed the timing to 3-4-4-8. Now I built this thing from scratch and had these problems with nothing but the MB/CPU/RAM/VCard. I can run 1 module at a time? BTW what MemTest86 should I run? There so many options... Bios-Std, Bios-All,Probe....Standard.All,Extended.. etc etc.. Cache on..Off.Auto.. I had the Mobo/Cpu/Ram combo built and tested by Monarch Computers..... hmmm they supposively tested it before it shipped, but who knows.. so should I remove it all again and try just 1 chip at a time?

dont know if this helps but seems similar to your problem Problems with ATI Radeon 9500 Pro on P4C800-E I am having trouble with ATI Radeon 9500 Pro(built by ATI) card on P4C800-E. No flickers or dots as described by other people but somehow I don't get good performance in some games such as Medal of Honor. It's just not smooth and quality is pretty poor. When I look at Sandra Max3 I can't even tell if the card is running at 8X. I am using the latest Catalyst driver from ATI Web Site. Can anyone help with setting any BIOS options for this card and what other utilities should I use? How do I make it run on 8X and make sure that everything is set right? I don't need to overclock at this point, just to get it running properly. Thanks. OK, issue resolved, I insyalled Intel INF Chipset recognition drivers. Got them on Intel site. Supposedly these drivers should help the system properly recognize AGP and USB which it did. I run my Radeon 9500 on 8X now with Fast Write enabled. Havn't tried to overclock it yet but at least I know I am getting the performance that I should be getting.

Archived