Corsair Community

Noob overclock question about FSB:DRAM ratio

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the forum. I'm a new overclocker trying to learn as much as I can right now. I recently jumped in and decided to try the "Extreme Tweaker" area in my BIOS. I thought this might be a fairly safe way to learn overclocking. I did an AI Overclock of 15% on my system. Everything appears to be operating stable with good temps.

I believe this to be a fairly conservative overclock. My E6700 @2.66 is running at 3.06 now and I can definately tell a difference in the performance.

My question is by letting the BIOS overclock my system the memory is also overclocked at 921 Mhz (459.8Mhz). It's currently running a 2:3 FSB/DRAM ratio. I'm using Corsair 2x2048 XMS2 800 PC2-6400 sticks.

I did manually set the timings at 5-5-5-12. Is 921 Mhz withn an acceptable range for this memory from anyone's experience? This isn't too high is it?

Again, so far the system seems stable. I have run SuperPi, and Prime95, and have many of the overclocking monitors up and running while I stress the system. I haven't run memtest yet but will do that shortly.

My system:

E6700 running @ 3.06Ghz w/ FSB @ 1228 Mhz

Memory @ 921 Mhz (DDR2) timings: 5-5-5-12 T2,

Striker Extreme mob

FSB:DRAM 2:3

Thanks for any input,

Randy

• Corsair Employees
Welcome to the forum! Thats a pretty good overclock for those modules, SuperPI and Prime95 are great ways to check stability. I'd say if the system passes memtest you should have nothing to worry about!

Archived