Corsair Community

newbie flash memory questions

excelgrad

Hi sorry for the long #of questions, but if someone could answer these?

#1. truecrypt is free ware is it any good? (I don't have a lot of experience with this type of software).

#2. I noticed about a 6% difference between the stated value and what the OS sees. I'm guesing thats about right on?

#3. The hd utility site someone mentioned is in japanese with some weird file extension. .lzh . I tried to download and change it to .exe , it gives me an error and won't install (I am running windows xp 64 pro). is there another benchmarking utility I could try?

#4. I see the flash drive seems to come pre-formatted with Fat-32. If I'm running win xp 64 with NTFS would I be better formatting the flash drive with NTFS or Fat 32 for better compatability? If I want to experiment with booting from usb or virtualization would true crypt be sufficient to partition the usb flash drive? Does it have sufficient ability to defrag? How will all this affect "the lifespan" of the drive?

#5. I looked on a popular download site, I found VirtualLab Data Recovery 5.5.15 Is this one of the better data recovery softwares?

#6. The flash drive said it would come with a cd of drivers and utilities, yet there was nothing in the packaging ??? what gives...

*** thanks to anyone who is able to answer all my questions. I know that these are a ton of questions by a newbie.

• Corsair Employees

#1. truecrypt is free ware is it any good? (I don't have a lot of experience with this type of software).

A:) Yes its one of the best that we found.

#2. I noticed about a 6% difference between the stated value and what the OS sees. I'm guessing thats about right on?

A:) That may be for your system, you might try and format the Drive in NTFS and see if it performs better.

#3. The hd utility site someone mentioned is in japanese with some weird file extension. .lzh . I tried to download and change it to .exe , it gives me an error and won't install (I am running windows xp 64 pro). is there another benchmarking utility I could try?

A:) Please try the HD-Bench software to test the performance.

#4. I see the flash drive seems to come pre-formatted with Fat-32. If I'm running win xp 64 with NTFS would I be better formatting the flash drive with NTFS or Fat 32 for better compatibility? If I want to experiment with booting from usb or virtualization would true crypt be sufficient to partition the usb flash drive? Does it have sufficient ability to defrag? How will all this affect "the lifespan" of the drive?

A:) If you want to make it boot able, you should use a DOS boot floppy and set the drive as a HDD in you BIOS. True Crypt would be if you want to encrypt a file/folder or Partition in the Flash drive and will have no effect in how long the drive will last.

#5. I looked on a popular download site, I found VirtualLab Data Recovery 5.5.15 Is this one of the better data recovery softwares?

A:) You can use any software that you find, you can search from this site.

#6. The flash drive said it would come with a cd of drivers and utilities, yet there was nothing in the packaging ??? what gives...

A:) The software is on the drive the CD is no longer needed.

Hi, I did the hd bench software....I came up with 27mbs read..it appears that it can't do a write test (no settings I could find). 27mbs is about 10-12% off of spec...is this inidcative of a bad drive or did I just get a little unlucky?

Archived