Corsair Community

Asus P5N-E SLI and 2x TWIN2X4096

tib-g

Hi,

I have an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard, Core 2 Q6600 processor, and have just installed 2 sets of TWIN2x4096-6400C5DHX pairs (total 8GB). (Running Windows XP x64).

Just wondering what the correct timings, voltages and bus speed is for such a set up. I suspect that the memory will need higher than normal voltage because of the fact that all of the memory slots are full with large capacity modules.

Are there any other BIOS settings that I need to change to ensure the stability of the system?

Thanks!

-Tib.

• Corsair Employees
Just load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the timings to Cas 5-5-5-18 manually and then test the modules with the Voltage set to 2.0 Volts! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure! But set Legacy USB to Disabled when running any memory test, Also check the Command Rate it set to 2t and the TRC is set to 24.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the late response, i was away all last week.

not so good, I'm afraid.

the computer is stable under basic functions.

but when I run anything particularly taxing, it crashes, well, stops responding; i can still see the screen, but the computer has stopped doing anything.

i had a temp. monitor window open and the last temperatures shown were 54 degC for the CPU and 48 degC for the motherboard. this seems well within normal limits.

is there a less aggressive memory setting i can try?

• 2 weeks later...
thanks ramguy, the system hasn't missed a beat since I made the change. I'm a little disappointed that the system can't run stably at the higher speed, but its still pretty quick.

cheers!

With the load of 4 DIMMs on the NB, I'd suggest upgrading the cooling on that specific board. Also, you may be able to clock the MOBO back up to DDR800 speeds with an increase on your NB voltage. But, I would not try that unless you improve the cooling. Mine runs well with the NBv at 1.56v.

Archived